Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum here, have lurked for many years but never anything that warranted me to post....til now. Always thought of my self being mechanically savvy but this is puzzling me.

I've been having an issue with my 5055d where the battery keeps draining and it slowly turns off the gauges then the tractor dies, all with in most times 30-60min of running. When the tractor sits after it dies, the battery is "recharged" and makes it upwards to 12v where I can start it again. When the tractor is started, the voltage begins around 14v but trickles its way down and once it hit around 8-10v, the gauges stop working and at 6v most times kills the engine. Does not change if the PTO or lights are engaged. Battery has been replaced due to this and the alternator checked out as good pushing 60amps consistently. Took it to the shop and they adjusted the power terminals saying they were loose....waste of money let me tell ya. I'm thinking the next step is voltage regulator or try to track down a short but I do not know how to test the regulator or know a really good method to find a short. Advice? Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts
If the battery is losing a charge while the tractor is running, you have a charging problem, or a bad battery. Since you've replaced the battery and the symptoms have not changed, I'd look at your charging system.

Is the fan belt tight? If it's loose the alternator may not be charging like it should. When running, the alternator should be putting out a steady 13-15 volts. If you're testing at the alternator and not getting that, you have a bad alternator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the battery is losing a charge while the tractor is running, you have a charging problem, or a bad battery. Since you've replaced the battery and the symptoms have not changed, I'd look at your charging system.

Is the fan belt tight? If it's loose the alternator may not be charging like it should. When running, the alternator should be putting out a steady 13-15 volts. If you're testing at the alternator and not getting that, you have a bad alternator.
The belt is tight, that is the first thing I checked. I was thinking alternator was the culprit, that is why I took off the alternator and had it tested, but it came back pushing out 60amps and fully functional from a local dealer/repair shop. Is there a way to see JUST the output of the alternator while running on the tractor? Just testing the battery voltage while running does not isolate the output power of the alternator. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I noticed something odd when viewing 5055D parts catalog as no voltage regulator is listed that I can locate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I noticed something odd when viewing 5055D parts catalog as no voltage regulator is listed that I can locate.
The regulator is most likely internal

Reactions: 56FordGuy

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I understand that BUT the Nippondenso alternator on my JD 4255 has an internal regulator(parts key 4) that JD will sell the regulator as a separate repair part. I find it strange on a 5055D one must find a repair shop or buy a NEW alternator if voltage regulator fails. But after checking price of regulator for my tractor I probably wouldn't buy it from JD anyway.
RE52024 Regulator - REGULATOR ASSEMBLY ADD 157.91 USD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
I understand that BUT the Nippondenso alternator on my JD 4255 has an internal regulator(parts key 4) that JD will sell the regulator as a separate repair part. I find it strange on a 5055D one must find a repair shop or buy a NEW alternator if voltage regulator fails.
It maybe a supplier agreement that JD was not able to make with the supplier to sell parts, just the complete unit. I have also been told JD will make agreements with suppliers giving them exclusive rights to sell internal parts for a part speced just for JD use. Supplier may not have been willing to give up the right to sell parts to non JD companies. So with out exclusive rights, JD may have decided not to sell internal parts. Or supplier would not sell just internal parts.

Reactions: johnH123
1 - 10 of 10 Posts