Green Tractor Talk banner

5055E Transmission Issues??

19K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  ttazzman 
#1 ·
My tractor is stopping occasionally while driving. The neutral light comes on and tractor stops. Put tractor back in neutral and then back in gear and tractor begins. This happens when stopping and starting (like moving hay bales around). I can drive non stop and this will not happen. I also was having the transmission indicator warning come on but I already changed out the enable pressure sensor on transmission and this corrected this. Tractor is 2 years old and warranty expired. Any others see this issue? I'm thinking another sensor gone bad. Your thoughts?

#2 ·
Welcome to GTT
I presume your tractor has power reverser which I think fwd/rev is controlled by relays. I'm guessing your tractor has a faulty relay or bad electrical connection. Electronically controlled hyd functions are great when new & operating correctly but can be a PITA when they malfunction. I like my cable controlled hyd reverser.

#3 ·
Another question

Dumb question here but does the 5055e have a separate transmission filter than the main hydraulic filter? Nowhere in the manual can I find if this tractor needs transmission fluid or filter but only refers to the main hydraulic filter and fluid. I've crawled under the tractor but for the life of me I cannot find another filter.

#4 ·
Dumb question here but does the 5055e have a separate transmission filter than the main hydraulic filter? Nowhere in the manual can I find if this tractor needs transmission fluid or filter but only refers to the main hydraulic filter and fluid. I've crawled under the tractor but for the life of me I cannot find another filter.
I don't believe that it does. My father's tractor, a 5065e with power reverser, doesn't that I know of.
The transmission uses Hygaurd hydraulic fluid.

#10 ·
Maybe just jumper it and see what happens?

#15 ·
It started as the clutch being a little jumpy but it would go away after it warmed up. Yesterday I backed done a hill to a gravel pile was in b1. I have a habit of pushing the clutch in when I change from reverse to forward. When I flipped to forward the n light turned off but the tractor didn’t move. I could flip in reverse and it would back up normal but would not move forward. After 20 or so attempts it took and I drove it directly to the garage. When I backed in it did it again as I tried to pull forward, this time I punched the throttle and it started moving. Hydro is in the middle of the sight glasses. 5055e 12/12 power reverse 2015 200hours.

#19 ·
Hi. I havet the same problem with my 2015 JD 5055E with 200 h runtime. My transmission varning light turns on at 1500 rpm in neutral. My hydraulic filter and fluid is changed. I will try to change out the pressure enable sensor. Do I have to remove the diesel tank and drain the hydraulic fluid before changing the sensor? Thanks in advance for your answer.

#20 ·
Welcome to GTT
One has to love electronically controlled trans/hyd controls when they're operating correctly to tolerate/diagnose them when they fail!! I'm glad all 3 of my tractors have manually controlled trans/hyd controls
I suggest you acquire both(diagnostic & repair) JD 5055E tech manuals. My guess is your tractor has a faulty relay or as you implied faulty sensor.

#21 ·
Mine does the same but only when shifting in B range and only about 10-20 percent of the time. Neutral light comes on solid (not flashing) and you have to put the reverser in neutral for at least about a half second before you move again. I’m going to take it to dealer in a couple weeks when I go on vacation. Mine is under a year old.

#26 ·
i was having this problem with my 5105m ....progressively got worse over time....finally after a couple of years of it being intermittent i pulled it in the shop pulled codes and started the diagnostic process ... my issue seems to be resolved by replacing the k16 relay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.