Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 5055e with 740 hours. I didn't notice it when I bought the tractor, but it appears the left wheel bake is dragging. It has no power in high range and high gear, drove it about half mile and right wheel brake area was still at ambient temp but left side was almost uncomfortable to touch. I am thinking the brake piston is not retracting. Any thoughts and where can I find a good repair manual with troubleshooting tips. Tractor is a2014 year model. When driving at around 10MPH and depressing the clutch the tractor stops as if you had depressed a brake pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a new to me 5055e with 740 hours. I didn't notice it when I bought the tractor, but it appears the left wheel bake is dragging. It has no power in high range and high gear, drove it about half mile and right wheel brake area was still at ambient temp but left side was almost uncomfortable to touch. I am thinking the brake piston is not retracting. Any thoughts and where can I find a good repair manual with troubleshooting tips. Tractor is a2014 year model. When driving at around 10MPH and depressing the clutch the tractor stops as if you had depressed a brake pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the final drives off and both discs have come apart and been ground to pieces. The friction material has apparently fallen off of the metal disc. What little of the material that was still attached to the disc did not appear to be worn down at all. It literally looks as if it just fell off. The friction rings on each side of the brake disc were in fantastic shape with no scoring or signs of heat.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks for getting back to the forum with your findings. I have been told that water will degrade the friction material. I believe water dissolves the adhesive used. If so, this would explain your situation. I would check the hydraulic system for signs of water. Free water, sludge, or milky oil. If you do find evidence of water, then find the source of the water otherwise you will fight this again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.