Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I just joined the clogged fuel tank strainer club. I was out brush cutting, after 45 minutes of running tractor started randomly losing power and rpm. Going to remove fuel from tank and inspect strainer and also clean and change fuel filter. Thinking about removing fuel strainer from tank and installing a inline filter. Any Cons to doing this. Just thinking in the future it would be a lot easier to change a filter than dealing with one in the tank.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I recommend removing the strainer and installing the in-line filter. The strainer in the tank has very little surface area on the screen and clogs with a small amount of debris. As you said, an in-line filter will be much easier to service in the future. Of course if you have good clean fuel, there shouldn't be a problem, but we all know some dirt manages to get into the fuel somehow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You also need to follow the fuel line from that strainer to the lift pump, looking for cracks/dry rot. Our 5065E did the same thing, and the first place I looked was at the strainer. It had debris, but cleaning it didn't stop the tractor from losing power/quitting. Later, I found numerous spots in the fuel line where it was losing suction from cracks. I replaced the line, and it has run perfect ever since- almost 2 years now.
This is a common issue, the cracked rubber fuel line.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pulled fuel strainer from the tank, cleaned strainer, wiped bottom of the tank with rags, reinstalled strainer and running good. Heres a picture if i can get it to transfer:

Once you have the picture loaded in the browse: How do you get it into the post? Okay figured it out, the how to section is lacking a step or two. You have to write directions for the guy that doesnt know anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Pulled fuel strainer from the tank, cleaned strainer, wiped bottom of the tank with rags, reinstalled strainer and running good. Heres a picture if i can get it to transfer:

Once you have the picture loaded in the browse: How do you get it into the post? Okay figured it out, the how to section is lacking a step or two. You have to write directions for the guy that doesnt know anything.
Ours was contaminated like that, but once I cleaned it, we still had power loss, and shut off, issues. It was the air leaking fuel line that was the root problem; the clogged strainer didn't help things.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Man how old is that tractor? you might need to rethink your fuel source? nurse tank?

What inline filter are ya'll using? If I ever have to remove that strainer it won't be going back in the tank on my tractor...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tractor is a 2014 with around 120 hrs, it sits alot, then when it is ran several hrs at one time. I know that it gets some condensation over the winter, but i will try putting the biocide in the tank.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I will attempt to give you some inspiration to add biocide to your tractors fuel tank. My neighbor with a different brand '15 model tractor unfortunately got FUNGUS(whatever you choose to call the slime) in his tractors fuel tank. After a trip to local dealership he got his tractor back after paying the dealership $8000+ which included 4 new injectors. :banghead:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I removed the plastic screen shown in several of these pictures completely, then put an in-line shut off valve, so I can go further in this repair without waiting for an empty fuel tank or having to empty the tank..

The in-line diesel fuel filter with a nipple on each side, two hose clamps and your are done. Also, on the "E" Series, remember to remove and throw away the rubber fuel line from the tank all the way to the fuel filter housing on the side of the engine. Original line is CRAP !!

Replace with a Gates fuel line hose and good clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts