Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New at this so please bare with me. Have read some of the other threads but did not work yet. I have a JD 5065e and started it and left to let it warm up 10 degree out. Came back ~30min later and not running. Lights turn on fine, would not crank. Removed fuse cover and fuses and 10 amp starter fuse blown. Replaced and blew again. Read threads about unplugging the two wire Cold assist solenoid (?), as I put the new 10 amp fuse blews without turning the key. On the threads unplugging the cold assist solenoid (not sure if that is the right word) prior thread had a diagram of it worked but not for mine. Must be a short somewhere else. Was running when this happened. Starter solenoid???? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration to respond

Blessings
Scott

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
start unhooking things and ohming to ground.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I agree with other member that one needs to disconnect electrical components while checking with an VOM or test light

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My starter got a dead spot on it around 275hrs. No blown fuses (yet), but it'll trigger the solenoid and nothing happens until I hit the key a couple more times. Pretty intermittent, thus why I think it's the armature contacts.

Pissing the drain from the fuel filter directly down onto it certainly can't help matters. Stupid engineers. :nunu:

I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You mentioned disconnecting the cold start solenoid. The solenoid is on the injection pump. The cold start sensor on the thermostat housing is the part known to have problems with shorting out. Did you try unplugging that as well?

·
Registered
177 Posts
no start, blown fuse

You mentioned disconnecting the cold start solenoid. The solenoid is on the injection pump. The cold start sensor on the thermostat housing is the part known to have problems with shorting out. Did you try unplugging that as well?
Cold start Solenoid is behind the Injection Pump, in the water jacket. Unplug that and tape it up. I am in Louisiana so Cold Start (by John Deere definition) is rarely needed. Tractor should start and run fine if that is your problem, but will burn more fuel-per-hour. CS Solenoid is not real expensive and replacing it will improve fuel usage. 3029-temp-sensor.jpg 3029-temp-sensor.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
This just happened to my 5320 on Wednesday. Blew the Key/Start fuse. Disconnected the cold start, stole a fuse from the turn signals and it started right up.
Bought a replacement today at JD for around $50.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That same type cold start sensor been failing since the mid 90's. One would think JD engineers would have come up with a solution in 20+ yrs of failures.
Just goes to show you that JOHN just wants to sell iron, not take care of customers !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts