Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post here after reading the forums for awhile. I recently bought a 5065e second-hand and have been putting it to work. I’ve been using a Frontier RC2072 mower around my property. When getting into thick briars the mower will slow down and the pto shaft will stop turning, but the tractor does not bog down. Sometimes the mower will stop turning altogether, but engine speed does not change.
I’m going to hook up to another implement today to see if it’s the tractor or the mower, but it seems like the tractor has a weak PTO? Any thoughts on how to diagnose or fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
10,129 Posts
If the PTO shaft stops turning, it isn't the implement.

I am guessing that your PTO clutch might be the problem.

There are much more knowledgeable folks here that will be able to help.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
722 Posts
Had the same problem with my 4720, it was the actuator thingy that engages the clutch - there wasn't enough pressure due to blockage of a passage. I was hoping they wouldn't need to split the case to replace the clutch discs. Your 5000 series might be somewhat mechanically similar in design to my large frame compact. Oh, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced this same problem years ago with a 5105 I had while running my MX6 cutter. Thought the PTO clutch must have been toasted. Read in manual about adjusting PTO engagement. After adjusting problem went away. This was open station unit with mechanical engagement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As Said above, do you have electrical or mechanical PTO engagement, what year tractor and how many hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you engage PTO with a switch or lever ? Difference carries to PTO clutch. and possible solutions.

Finally, what model year ?
Thanks for the feedback so far. According to my product identification number, I believe the tractor is a 2011. As I said earlier, I bought it secondhand.

The PTO is engaged via a lever on the left hand side of the operators position. This is an open cab tractor. The lever is in a small box that has a electrical cable attached to it and what looks to be a hydraulic line.

I took a couple of photos and edited the main post to add them.

The tractor has 714 hours on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After playing with the tractor a bit, it is the tractor. I don’t really want to take this thing into the service department if it’s an easy fix, but if it’s a big project, I suppose I’ll have to.

·
Premium Member
10,129 Posts
I experienced this same problem years ago with a 5105 I had while running my MX6 cutter. Thought the PTO clutch must have been toasted. Read in manual about adjusting PTO engagement. After adjusting problem went away. This was open station unit with mechanical engagement.
According to your pictures you have mechanical engagement. Deere5105's post eludes to an adjustment. What you referred to looking like a hose is a cable. He also mentioned the adjustment is in the manual if you have one.

If you don't, it would be worth getting one, not only for this but for all of the other stuff it will help with.

Deere5105, Hosspuller, etc might not have been back on since you posted the pictures. They are probably out playing with their tractors.

When they get back online they will probably be able to tell you how to adjust it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you know if the HYD fluid, filter and strainer have ever been serviced? If you don't think so I'd start there, especially the strainer with 700+ hours. Did the other HYDs like steering feel different.

·
Registered
260 Posts
BPR2020: From your photos, Poster RTGT is correct. The PTO is operated by a cable connected to the PTO lever (A) next to the seat. There are no hydraulics involved with this PTO/transmission.
The cable may be stretched or breaking down (increasing length) Continued use with the PTO clutch slipping will be very expensive and require splitting the tractor to repair ... But on the chance, the PTO clutch isn't FUBARed already. Here's the adjustment procedure.

The following is copied from Deere's diagnostic manual. I have a power reverser so I can't answer any adjustment questions.

Adjust PTO Clutch Linkage

LEGEND:

A PTO Clutch Lever

B Front and Rear Cable Bracket Nuts

C PTO Clutch Arm

D Jam Nut

E Yoke

F Cap Screw and Nut

[1] - Move PTO clutch lever (A) to rearward (disengaged) position.

[2] - Pull rubber floor mat away from the left side of floor.

[3] - Remove access cover.

[4] - Loosen front and rear cable bracket nuts (B).

[5] -
Loosen jam nut (D).

[6] - Remove cap screw and nut (F) with spacer between yoke (E) and PTO clutch arm (C) by disconnecting yoke from PTO

clutch arm.

[7] - Rotate PTO clutch arm (C) rearward, by hand, until it stops.

[8] - Move cable until only the rear half of the hole in the PTO clutch arm is visible through the cable yoke hole.

[9] - Tighten front and rear cable bracket nuts (B) to bracket.

[10] - Rotate yoke until entire hole in PTO clutch arm is visible through cable yoke hole.

[11] - Place spacer between yoke (E) and PTO clutch arm (C) and install cap screw and nut (F).

[12] - Tighten jam nut (D) against yoke.

[13] - Install access cover.

[14] - Pull rubber floor mat back over access cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the help. Sounds like I’ll have to start looking at places to potentially take my tractor for service. I found the bit in the manual about the PTO Clutch Linkage, but I believe that it’s already good. So it’s probably the PTO clutch.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I agree with hosspuller that it sounds as if pto linkage needs adjusting. Mechanical pto clutch such as your tractor has is not related to hyd's

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for all of the help. Sounds like I’ll have to start looking at places to potentially take my tractor for service. I found the bit in the manual about the PTO Clutch Linkage, but I believe that it’s already good. So it’s probably the PTO clutch.

Thanks again.
It's your machine and money … Believing is for church. Check and verify is for equipment operation. The cable engages the clutch. There is a specific measurement to the adjustment. If it's not pulling enough, the clutch slips. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I had surgery on Monday and was not able to follow up on this stuff until now. Anyhow, upon taking Hosspuller’s advice, I took a look at the PTO cable. As suspected, it was loose. I tightened it up and it seems to run fine. When I recover a bit more, I’ll take it out to the field and test it.

Thanks for everyone’s input!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many times I have witnessed time and money being saved from hearing others experiences. I would recommend adjusting to the specs in the manual so it isn’t “over tightened” and possibly lose some adjustment in the future. I suspect at some point it is better for it to slip than tear up something else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts