Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 5075M. The machine has around 25 hours on it now and when I start it there is a small amount of soot that comes out the exhaust. It's probably no big deal but I try to keep my equipment clean and this is a pain as it gets all over the hood and loader arms.

I use farm (red) Diesel, I was wondering if the problem could be caused by some short usage times. What I mean is sometimes I just run the tractor to take a round bale to my cattle and that may only be 15-20 mins. I didn't notice the problem until around 20ish hours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Welcome to DT!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My only advice, and you won't like it is to get used to it. They all do it, and all diesel's leave some soot behind, just the nature of the beast. The only solution may be a vertical exhaust kit if they offer it for that model.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
:empathy:The official Deere term is slobber:lol:
Just pretend you have a Saint Bernard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL,

Well I gotta tell ya I really dont like it at all.:thumbsdown:
I was going to say I never noticed it on the 4720 I trade in, But I believe that did have a vertical exhaust.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
It is, kind of, weird some machines do it others do not. I believe properly seated rings will minimize the phenomenon. Do not be afraid to put a load on your engine. "Babying" a new engine is not good for it. Do you have any pto implements or, maybe, a plow to give her a workout. It may eliminate or, at least, reduce your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering about that as well, I do have a pasture I need to tear up and seed down.

And of course being from IOWA winter could come any day so I'm sure there will be snow to move........

BTW

Other then the soot I love this tractor!!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Something from Deere:
Stairs Hardwood Wood flooring Laminate flooring Wood stain
This is, actually, for PowerTech engines, but, the theory is the same.:good2:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree with Kevin. Try running it on some job that will work it hard for a while. The short run times you are doing at 15 - 20 minutes at a time Don't get the engine warmed up thoroughly. Diesels are designed to run hard. If you don't have any jobs to work it hard, plowing or rotary mowing for extended period, you might consider asking your dealer to run it on the dyno for an hour or so. That would help break it in.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
My only advice, and you won't like it is to get used to it. They all do it, and all diesel's leave some soot behind, just the nature of the beast. The only solution may be a vertical exhaust kit if they offer it for that model.
Once again I agree with Kenny.

I quit worrying about it as it's minor compared to the claycrete dust that gets on and in everything on equipment in my area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts