Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating getting one of these machines. While chatting with a super nice sales guy about the 5075, he seemed concerned that it would be big enough. And to be clear, he isn't simply trying to sell me a bigger one, he doesn't have one. My primary uses are two fold: pulling a 9 ft blade for snow work and some dirt work (fixing my road when needed) and moving around 1400 lb bales of hay. My land it not flat and my biggest concern is stability and safety. I understand to carry my loads low, but when pulling the hay off the semi, low isn't an option for a moment. I am hoping someone here has some experience with the 5075e and can comment on these two primary uses with this machine and whether or not I need to spend the extra cash to go bigger. Thanks so much for the advice!!

I am looking at barely used machines vs new. Budget issues

·
Premium Member
16,180 Posts
Are you talking 5075 / 90 E-series or M-series, cab or open station?

What loader model are you considering?

·
Premium Member
2015 5045e
247 Posts
I've got a 5045e and wouldn't worry about 1,400lbs up front. Make sure you've got ballast. Shoot my grapple alone weights over 1,000lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which loader? I've got the h240 and lift capacity is 2579.4 lb at full height.

Been looking at the 520m, which has plenty of lifting power. My question really is tractor stability with heavy weight up high

·
Premium Member
2015 5045e
247 Posts
Looks like that 5090e is larger, so larger will be more stable. Hard to say further except you should probably try to not be lifting really high in a precarious situation.

There is the option of wheel spacers to add some stability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 5090E. It will lift alot with the loader I have. I believe it is a 540 loader. I easily move round bales and alot of other things. Only issue I have is getting enough ballast to pick the items up. Loader sticks out the front of the tractor a long ways and you need alot of ballast for heavy loads. I currently have fluid in the tires and weights in the rims and it needs all of it. I have not had a 5075E and have no idea how stable it would be but the 5090E works very well.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
both tractors will have enough HP and Hydraulics to do the task you have mentioned ........weight of tractor will be a key issue and will need to be added........the 90e is naturally 60-70% heavier .....you will need to add weight to BOTH tractors....just more to the 75e ......in my opinion.....around here you see a lot of the 5085Es doing bale work i think they are the larger frame like the 90E but i am not sure.....in fact i would guess 5085s are the top seller in our area for hobbie farms

I move big bales with a 4500 and 460 loader but i put a lot of weight on it to do it

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I too have a 5090 and having operated a 5075 I can say there is no comparison. The 5090 will do much more than the 5075. I have the 540 MSL and love the entire setup. I will agree it is difficult to get enough ballast to maximize the use of the loader. The only concession I see in the 5075 is that it is more compact but aside from that I wouldn't think about the small frame 5E vs the large.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have two 5xxx series. One with loaded tires and one without. The rear tires are the same size. Increasing the width of the tires did more for stability than weight of loaded tires.. The loaded tires do have more traction. But both machines are MFWD. Engaging the front wheels works for heavy FEL loads.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well a larger machine almost always means more capability for heavy work. For example a 1/2 ton is great for towing 3 or 4 tons, but when you start getting around 5-6 tons then you should really start considering a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Same with a tractor. IDK the kinds of strain what you're wanting to do will put on a 5075E, but a larger framed 4 cylinder 5E will handle it easier I'm sure. With that said a 5075E is not some compact tractor. You can work it some. We use 1,000 lb bales and a 5075E has no issues with moving them. Our 10' disc mower weighs around 1,300- 1,400 lbs and it has no issues with it lifted up and that's with or without the loader. It can get a little light up front with the disc mower if you go hauling butt on bumpy ground without the loader attached, but for the most part it's no issue for it. A 2018+ open station 5075E is a little over 5,900 lbs and a cabbed version is a little over 6,700 lbs according to JD. A 18+ 5090E is a little under 7,300 lbs for a convertible and 8,150 for the coupe according to JD. One nice thing about a 3 cylinder 5E is with its pretty short 80" wheelbase it's a very nimble machine that cuts a small radius when you take the loader off it. Still if I'm worried about managing heavy weight safely then bigger is better, and you'll have more PTO HP to turn your implements on top of that. If you're looking at emissions tractors the a 5090E will have DEF where a 5075E won't if that's something that matters to you. Also a 4 cylinder 5E add noticeably to the cost of the machine over a 3 cylinder 5E.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Another consideration. The new tractors like to be run hard and hot. Too much engine doesn't get the DPF hot enough to burn soot without a regen. A smaller engine run hard & hot will clean up the DPF while working instead of doing a parked regen..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts