Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I appreciate anyone taking the time to try and help me.
I bought a 2013 5075e. I then bought a baler and Steffens system accumulator. The guy I bought accumulator from said the hydraulics will get hot with the tractor I have, he bought the same tractor. I called Steffens company and they said it only requires 5gpm and the tractor should work. I called dealership and he said the issue is the accumulator needs constant flow and to tie back the hydraulic lift handle in the cab. I hate to Mickey Mouse rig things. Correct me if I’m wrong but the power beyond has constant flow. Could I not just T into the supply and return line and add hose connections? Then the accumulator would have the constant flow that goes to the front end loader?

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
Welcome Randy,
Yes, the PB supplies a constant flow of oil, that is what you want by your description IF that attachment can handle the extra flow above the required 5 GPM it needs. If it can't handle the extra flow, then the fluid will overheat from the restriction.

Next issue: No you cannot "tee" into the lines, all new devices must be added in series otherwise the fluid will take the path of least resistance back to the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
Ditto what Kenny stated. Actually securing scv control lever with a bungee cord or other type device isn't Mickey Mouse rigging because JD engineers did the same thing as far back as the mid 1960's with a piece of metal locking scv control lever in an operating position to provide hyd pressure to an added control valve. Myself I'd classify the bungee cord as cheap & simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. Makes sense on path of least resistance and overheating. Your right Tim bungee would be much easier. However I was hoping to add a hook up because the tractor has one set of scv in back. So the baler needs that to lift and lower. The accumulator is towed behind baler.
Couple more questions.
How or where would I tap into the PB that would be in series. Do they make a needle valve or something that would keep the flow at 5gpm.
If I do just secure it with a bungee cord, does the scv limit flow to what is needed so that it does not over heat as well? That was the previous owners issue, hydraulics would over heat.

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
Randy
My knowledge of later model JD tractors is limited because I left JD dealership in '87. I think Steffens should have the info on correct method of attaching their hyd system to a JD 5075E. I've read where your model tractor has hyd oil heating problems so attaching that accumulator to your tractors hyd system & keeping hyd oil in moderate temp range will be challenging.

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
How or where would I tap into the PB that would be in series.
I'm not that up on the 5-series, so I can't help to much. I don't even see a "power beyond" option in JDParts for them. I "think" you would remove hose #7 and replace with hoses, that should get you the "PB" you need. Remember these MUST be connected together or to an open center valve whenever the tractor is running since the flow is constant.

Do they make a needle valve or something that would keep the flow at 5gpm.
Not really a needle valve as that would just create restrictions/heat. They do make flow reducers but you need a third line back to the tank: 1/2 NPT Hydraulic Flow Control Valve w/Relief Prince RDRS150-16 | Flow Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Have you asked what the max flow the unit can handle it? Since it's made for larger AG machine I'd have to assume it can take more than 5gpm without issue.

The overheat issue was cause by a sticking/fault SVC as I recall, then the fuel tanks would/could melt. Search posts from member @couv for some detailed info.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
The E series hydraulic options are different than what is available for the M’s. However, the 5E’s are available with a backhoe (485) which requires a Power Beyond circuit. The PB circuit provides a continuous hyd flow from the pump to the tractor sump. The concern would be that the hyd control on the bale accumulator would be too constrictive and cause heat buildup. Steffen should have a perspective on that possible issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AKfish thanks for the info. I could not find anything as to adding the power beyond option on the e series. The Steffens system has a ball valve that recirculates access pressure back to tractor but maybe it’s too restrictive like your saying.

Tx Jim. Thanks for the info. The hydraulics run the chain that feeds bales into the accumulator and then runs a swing arm to push bales over. Steffens said the system only needs 4gpm. All the electric systems I could find did 1-1.5 gpm.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your local Deere dealer should have all the details for the PB hardware for your 75E. I looked at the Steffen system for a couple years but could never get past the price tag (although the equipment really holds it’s value - just look at the used prices!) Nonetheless, those folks have certainly dealt with JD “open-center” hyd systems in the past. Gotta be a workaround!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is the Steffens accumulator set up to work with open center hydraulic system? If not, that will definitely overheat the oil. I am not sure what vintage of 5075e that you have, but There should be a power beyond kit available for it. Some of the newer models use a BSJ10345 kit. Sorry, I just saw that you have an earlier model. The LVB25788 may be the kit you need.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The E series hydraulic options are different than what is available for the M’s. However, the 5E’s are available with a backhoe (485) which requires a Power Beyond circuit. The PB circuit provides a continuous hyd flow from the pump to the tractor sump. The concern would be that the hyd control on the bale accumulator would be too constrictive and cause heat buildup. Steffen should have a perspective on that possible issue.
the link i posted for him was JD sales info for 5e limited ....yes i did reference my 5m because that is what i have direct knowledge of....i dont claim extensive knowledge between models.... did the link i posted not apply? just asking for my own info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AKfish. I got a really good deal on the used system or I couldn’t have afforded it. I haven’t called the dealer yet to see what kit would work. I called Steffens system and there is a ball valve that has to be open for open center tractors. It was closed, surely the previous owner had tried opening and closing it but maybe not. I hooked everything up yesterday and ran the tractor, baler and accumulator for 14min. Granted it wasn’t under load working hard but it never over heated. I’m hopeful that it was just the ball valve causing him to over heat. I do need to add a second remote for the grappler so I’ll be adding one of those kits eventually. Thanks for the reply!

tazzman. I didn’t look real hard or call the dealer but the John Deere page I found with options for my tractor only listed a second remote kit for $805. I still need to call them about the link you sent me. I’m not sure if mine is a limited 5075e.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
AKfish. I got a really good deal on the used system or I couldn’t have afforded it. I haven’t called the dealer yet to see what kit would work. I called Steffens system and there is a ball valve that has to be open for open center tractors. It was closed, surely the previous owner had tried opening and closing it but maybe not. I hooked everything up yesterday and ran the tractor, baler and accumulator for 14min. Granted it wasn’t under load working hard but it never over heated. I’m hopeful that it was just the ball valve causing him to over heat. I do need to add a second remote for the grappler so I’ll be adding one of those kits eventually. Thanks for the reply!

tazzman. I didn’t look real hard or call the dealer but the John Deere page I found with options for my tractor only listed a second remote kit for $805. I still need to call them about the link you sent me. I’m not sure if mine is a limited 5075e.
yes i would be intrested to know if that option is availible and what it would cost.....it might be prohibitively expensive for your needs.....if availible and not overpriced it is certainly a excellent option to have

im also not sure the difference between a 5e and 5e limited if any

·
Registered
427 Posts
the link i posted for him was JD sales info for 5e limited ....yes i did reference my 5m because that is what i have direct knowledge of....i dont claim extensive knowledge between models.... did the link i posted not apply? just asking for my own info
What I noted after reviewing the hyd options for the 5E tractors was the 55hp-75hp machines are only available with 2 rear scv’s. The optional 3rd scv that allows full-flow to a hyd motor, etc. is not an option. The higher hp E tractors can be ordered with 3 rear scv’s like the M machines. I was surprised to see that! I was also surprised to see that the lower Hp tractors are only optioned with the 485 backhoe!
The backhoe option for the M models is the 595 hoe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.