Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2017 model and it seems as if it’s max rpm it will only spin the pto 550-560 rpm without a load. Is there any adjustment to this on the throttle cable? Just seems the tractor is wide open when pulling an implement and there is no throttle to spare if I get into thick grass/hay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
550-560 RPM is the max it will go at full throttle. Sounds to me like you are running out of power. Are you bogging it down? Are you expecting it to do more than a 5075 can do? You did not give us much info for specifics. For example, what are you mowing with, a batwing?

Dave

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
What is the HP requirement for the disc mower? I should think a 5075 would handle that. How fast is your ground speed? The guy cutting the hay around here is running a Ford 7610 or something like that with 75 HP and is running a disc mower, but I don't know the width, however it looks to be something like your 8ft and he is having no problems with it, but can't go very fast.

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is the HP requirement for the disc mower? I should think a 5075 would handle that. How fast is your ground speed? The guy cutting the hay around here is running a Ford 7610 or something like that with 75 HP and is running a disc mower, but I don't know the width, however it looks to be something like your 8ft and he is having no problems with it, but can't go very fast.

Dave
Usually running between 6 and 7 mph, when I first bought the tractor I never had this problem. Going to try changing fuel filters Monday. Something has changed just not sure what. Mower HP requirement is 50 hp.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
As I said to start with, sounds like you are running out of power. Since this is a new phenomenon, you need to search out why this is happening. Maybe just bad fuel???? Bad filter???? Water in fuel???

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 5075E only registers about 560 RPM's at WOT, but has no problems handling our 9' disc mower pulling it in 8th gear at about 6.8 MPH if I remember correctly. I just thought that was its limit and the computers or whatever wouldn't allow anymore PTO RPM's. Kind of like how the RPM's automatically drop off when set to 540E but IDK.

20180702_175639_Burst01-2328x1310.jpg

20180702_173229_Burst01-2328x1310.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you have your PTO on economy mode by chance? I guess I am not entirely sure what the problem is. Do you want your PTO to spin faster than 540-550? Maybe I am wrong but isn't 540 PTO speed ideal for most implements?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Usually running between 6 and 7 mph, when I first bought the tractor I never had this problem. Going to try changing fuel filters Monday. Something has changed just not sure what. Mower HP requirement is 50 hp.

I think 6-7mph when mowing thick grass is a little too fast. I run my 5075e with a 6 ft rotary mower at about 4mph and it does really well through thick grass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think 6-7mph when mowing thick grass is a little too fast. I run my 5075e with a 6 ft rotary mower at about 4mph and it does really well through thick grass.
Pulling a disc mower 6-7 is a moderate speed, I’ve seen ppl running 9-10 mph if they can stay in the seat. In ePTO you can sling the PTO around 610. This is more so about the engine being maxed out more so than wanting to sling the pto faster than 540. Seems to me like 2200rpm is fairly low rpm. I have a 5205 that will turn 2500-2600 before the Governor kicks in.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Was running a 6330 the other day. PTO speed is 2200 or so, but the engine can go to 2900 or so UNLESS the max speed dial is set too low. I usually set it so that mashing the pedal to the floor only makes the engine go 22-2300. Does yours have a little knob that you can use to set the max engine speed?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was running a 6330 the other day. PTO speed is 2200 or so, but the engine can go to 2900 or so UNLESS the max speed dial is set too low. I usually set it so that mashing the pedal to the floor only makes the engine go 22-2300. Does yours have a little knob that you can use to set the max engine speed?

I have a 5065E max is 560, it can run a 6 ft rotary cutter at 6-8 miles per hour. Now if you have a cab running the ac and have it in 4 wheel drive going up hill then yes you can get bogged down for sure. Have you had the tractor sitting for any long periods of time?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After doing some research and speaking with multiple technicians the RPM’s are limited on the 5e 3 cylinder final tier 4 tractors at 2200 rpms however the older 5e tractors were 2600 to 2800 depending on year. This seems silly to me however sounds like it also could be related to emissions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
After doing some research and speaking with multiple technicians the RPM’s are limited on the 5e 3 cylinder final tier 4 tractors at 2200 rpms however the older 5e tractors were 2600 to 2800 depending on year. This seems silly to me however sounds like it also could be related to emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Give us some insight on why you need it to spin higher than the stock rating? 75 hp should be plenty to run a hay mower.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Got a 2017 model and it seems as if it’s max rpm it will only spin the pto 550-560 rpm without a load. Is there any adjustment to this on the throttle cable? Just seems the tractor is wide open when pulling an implement and there is no throttle to spare if I get into thick grass/hay.

My sense is that your tractor is on the low side on RPM so you should pursue it. Did you say what your wide open throttle engine RPM is? I never actually even thought about this topic but after reading your post fired up our 5065E with an MX8. Tractor is Tier 3 interim, not final Tier 4. My readings were as follows:

Full throttle engine RPM: 2200-2300 rpm.
Full throttle no load PTO speed 590 RPM. Conditions: Tractor stationary.
Full throttle no load PTO speed 580 RPM Conditions: Tractor moving through field at 4-5 mph with mower raised (no load on mower).

·
Registered
345 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Give us some insight on why you need it to spin higher than the stock rating? 75 hp should be plenty to run a hay mower.[/QUOTE

I am unsure of the basis for the 540 rpm or 1000 rpm suggested PTO speeds. I always abided by them until I got an HX15 batwing and was a little unhappy with how it windrowed the grass behind the cutter. So my neighbor has an identical set up and his land always looks great so I asked him and was a bit surprised when he told me to just run the mower at full throttle. He said that would fix the windrowing issue. I wasn't too comfortable with that so did some research and found out there was an anti-windrowing kit I could install on the HX-15 for this condition but when I went to the dealer to order it the manager said not to install the kit, just run the cutter at full thottle. So with the dealer recommending it I tried it and not only is the windrowing gone but the overall cut looks better. So, I just run all of our tractors at full throttle when pulling a mower now. Full throttle on our 6105 running an HX-15 is about 570 rpm pulling through moderate grass around 5 mph.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Hey another factor comes to mind in your question. Although your no load rpm is low in my opinion based on a comparison to our 5065E it should not translate to needing more throttle if you get into thick grass, which I gather is your actual concern. As the cutter loads up requiring more work from the tractor, the engine's rpm initially drops but then the governor opens up to provide more fuel to the engine, restoring the engine speed to the original rpm as long as you are within limits. If you are in real heavy grass and after the initial bog the rpm stays lower or keeps dropping then another 20-30 no-load rpm would not have helped much anyway. You're only options are to gear down or eat less of a swath.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey another factor comes to mind in your question. Although your no load rpm is low in my opinion based on a comparison to our 5065E it should not translate to needing more throttle if you get into thick grass, which I gather is your actual concern. As the cutter loads up requiring more work from the tractor, the engine's rpm initially drops but then the governor opens up to provide more fuel to the engine, restoring the engine speed to the original rpm as long as you are within limits. If you are in real heavy grass and after the initial bog the rpm stays lower or keeps dropping then another 20-30 no-load rpm would not have helped much anyway. You're only options are to gear down or eat less of a swath.
Mainly I don’t understand why the tractor has to run full throttle to turn PTO speed when a tractor with the same engine but 8 years older will turn 2700 rpm it’s just mind boggling the design and thought process behind this. Secondly, yes as your stating some implements like to be oversped, 540 is a pto spec not a guideline that you must run 540 no more no less. I run some implements less than 540 like my square baler it runs about 500 to get the desired 80 plunger strokes per minute. It’s not so much my main concern as it is just a mind boggling why have they took 500-600 rpms away from this engine? I’m not really concerned with the actual power of the tractor, I can run circles around a 70hp Kubota pulling a smaller mower than mine. Changed fuel filters on the tractor and didn’t seem to help, got about 5 rolls into hay and the tractor went into regen, once finished regen the tractor was stronger. This emissions bull hockey is for the dogs, whoever come up with this on farm equipment and construction equipment should be put in front of a firing squad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mainly I don’t understand why the tractor has to run full throttle to turn PTO speed when a tractor with the same engine but 8 years older will turn 2700 rpm it’s just mind boggling the design and thought process behind this. Secondly, yes as your stating some implements like to be oversped, 540 is a pto spec not a guideline that you must run 540 no more no less. I run some implements less than 540 like my square baler it runs about 500 to get the desired 80 plunger strokes per minute. It’s not so much my main concern as it is just a mind boggling why have they took 500-600 rpms away from this engine? I’m not really concerned with the actual power of the tractor, I can run circles around a 70hp Kubota pulling a smaller mower than mine. Changed fuel filters on the tractor and didn’t seem to help, got about 5 rolls into hay and the tractor went into regen, once finished regen the tractor was stronger. This emissions bull hockey is for the dogs, whoever come up with this on farm equipment and construction equipment should be put in front of a firing squad.

I still feel your no load PTO speed is a little low despite having the lower max RPM. The 5065E we have with a max engine speed of 2200 rpm turns the PTO at 590 rpm no load. Anyway, to your original question on an adjustment...I have the tech manual and it makes no mention of an engine speed adjustment. Maybe your PTO speed sensor is just reading low (or mine is reading high :laugh:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I’m not really concerned with the actual power of the tractor, I can run circles around a 70hp Kubota pulling a smaller mower than mine.
Really too bad you & I don't live closer together because it would be interesting to see if you can run circles around my Kubota M7040 while mowing which by the way pulls my JD 467 rd baler baling 5.5 diameter bales very well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts