Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 5075E with about 2300 hours on it that has been having starting issues. It will crank, but I'm getting no smoke from the stack. I've drained all the fuel and refilled with new diesel, cleaned the in tank fuel filter, replaced the water separator and I can tell it's getting fuel to the injector pump. All the fuses appear okay and I suspect at this point that it's a bad fuel shutoff solenoid, but can't figure out where exactly it is or how to check that. The manual shows it as "E" on the attached photo, but that just looks like a terminal on top of the pump. Anyone know how to test the solenoid or have any other suggestions? At this point, I'm going to have to call the dealer and get one of their mechanics and really can't wait for a couple of months for them to get to it!

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would think you could hear a click where the fuel solenoid is opening and closing when the key is turned on and off.
But IDK on these newer machines. I have another diagram from JD parts but make sure the serial numbers are within your tractor. It's also for a open station. --> John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think you could hear a click where the fuel solenoid is opening and closing when the key is turned on and off.
But IDK on these newer machines. I have another diagram from JD parts but make sure the serial numbers are within your tractor. It's also for a open station. --> John Deere Parts Catalog
That one is a different pump than mine. I can't hear the solenoid click from where I can reach the switch, but I'll get my wife to turn it on tomorrow while I listen right at the pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is the cold start sensor has shorted out. This same sensor located on thermostat housing has been failing since the late 90's.
Anyway to test it?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If sensor has failed a fuse should have blown. Unplug sensor in photo,then attempt to start engine & if engine starts you've isolated the problem. Sensor utilization is only required during freezing temps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If sensor has failed a fuse should have blown. Unplug sensor in photo,then attempt to start engine & if engine starts you've isolated the problem. Sensor utilization is only required during freezing temps.
No luck. And I've checked every fuse. I cannot hear the solenoid click when the key is turned, so I'm guessing that is the problem.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Because your tractor will crank, the cold start sensor isn't your issue. First make sure you're getting power to the shut-off solenoid. If you are, then the next step is to take off the fitting on the top of the pump. I do mean take it off completely to the threaded hole in the case. The pump looks to me, as a Roosa master type pump. Try to start the tractor. Fuel will flow out of the hole, catch it with a hose to a bucket. if it starts, then your problem is … clogged fuel return or the pump is going south internally. If it still doesn't start. Take off the top of the pump case and look for the rack & solenoid. Insure that it's free to move. You'll have to find a photo/diagram to go further.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Do you have a test light or volt meter to check for voltage to the shut off solenoid? You can try connecting a jumper wire to the solenoid to see if it will start then. Connect one end to the positive terminal of battery and other end to the solenoid terminal. If you get hot sparks when connecting, there is a short somewhere. Disconnect the cold start sensor and try again. SHould only get a light spark when connection is made. If you get a light spark, then try cranking with key to see if it will start with jumper connected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a test light or volt meter to check for voltage to the shut off solenoid? You can try connecting a jumper wire to the solenoid to see if it will start then. Connect one end to the positive terminal of battery and other end to the solenoid terminal. If you get hot sparks when connecting, there is a short somewhere. Disconnect the cold start sensor and try again. SHould only get a light spark when connection is made. If you get a light spark, then try cranking with key to see if it will start with jumper connected.
There are two terminals on the top of the casing. Which one is the solenoid? I'll try running a jumper tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success! hosspuller nailed it! Apparently there was a clog in the fuel return line. I blew it out, pumped some fuel through and it started right up! Thanks to all that gave suggestions; I've learned more about how the fuel system worked and now I have two happy buck goats that have hay in their feeder. THANKS!

Reactions: 1010 and hosspuller

·
Registered
588 Posts
Garandpa: Thanks for the follow up. It's nice to know the solution to the problem.
I wish more folks would post what fixed their problems. It would be really helpful, possibly for years to come.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts