Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a new tractor. One of the stated models. I read many negative threads about the JD line of tractors. It makes me nervous to spend this amount of money and just hope it turns out well. I have 375 acres in SE Arkansas. Tractor will basically be used for Mowing, FEL work, No-till drill planting for food plots, spraying, maintaining roads, etc. I know I could probably make due with a smaller tractor, but I would rather have slightly more than I need so I have room to grow in the years to come. is there any important information that you can share that may help me make my mind up? Is there anything that would make the extra expense of the 85M a better choice?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
You know the old saying "go big or go home". I also agree that you can never have too much HP, but you can have too little. Many people have bought a smaller tractor and later upgraded to a bigger tractor. (me included, but I did get more property in between). I was looking to go with a 3 series, but found a 4 series before I could go that route. Do I really need a 4 series? No, but it sure has been handy many times doing things that a smaller tractor could not do.

Dave

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
5085 more weight and gain pto hp. Looking into them also and that’s why I would go 5085

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
5085 for sure. The more horsepower the better.

As far as the issues with deere, I believe those have all been corrected at this point. Also IIRC they were local to the E line of tractors.

Reactions: arlen

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
667 Posts
Looking to purchase a new tractor. One of the stated models. I read many negative threads about the JD line of tractors. It makes me nervous to spend this amount of money and just hope it turns out well. I have 375 acres in SE Arkansas. Tractor will basically be used for Mowing, FEL work, No-till drill planting for food plots, spraying, maintaining roads, etc. I know I could probably make due with a smaller tractor, but I would rather have slightly more than I need so I have room to grow in the years to come. is there any important information that you can share that may help me make my mind up? Is there anything that would make the extra expense of the 85M a better choice?
If you can swing ALL the additional costs of going with the 5085M and larger-heavier implements, go that route, you won't be sorry. I have a 75hp tractor and wish that I would have been able to afford an 85-100HP machine. It sure would have helped me out time wise and we only have 120 acres to deal with.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
My vote is the 5085M. Mainly for the wet sleeved 4cylinder engine that has been proven for many years.

I doubt i would put enough hours on a new one to have problems with the 5075M 5cylinder dry sleeve (not really sleeved, just a block) to make any difference. :dunno:

Reactions: jdmich
1 - 8 of 8 Posts