Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear JD friends,
I bought a 2020 5075M last month, and I've started having problems with the transmission sporadically. What seems to be happening is after about an hour of continuous use (e.g. using the loader, mowing the field) the transmission just stops working. I'll be going along in drive A3/A4 about 2 MPH and the tractor just stops.
The tractor is otherwise on and running (e.g. engine, throttle, hydraulics, radio, rear PTO, rear lift), but no amount of cycling through the gears, toggling the F/N/R shift on the wheel, putting it in park, or anything I try seems to work. Dealer showed me how to pull up the error code. I'm getting 191.17 sometimes. Other times the computer says no error code even though the tractor won't drive/reverse when I put it in gear -- any gear. Stopping and restarting the tractor doesn't help either. Seems if I let it sit overnight I can start it up again and everything works again as it should. This morning the problem happened again after I'd been mowing for an hour (540E at 1650 RPM). Mowed several acres just fine before it just stopped moving forward mid-pass.

This is tremendously frustrating to have a brand new tractor that just stops moving after awhile. JD was out last week to look at it, but couldn't find anything wrong. I assume it's because this only occurs after continued use. Has anyone experienced problems with the electronic clutch or transmission on this new model that could explain this behavior?

Thank you!

·
Registered
971 Posts
The error code indicates a problem with transmission top shaft speed sensor. Could be a bad sensor that quits when it gets hot, or could be a bad wire between sensor and controller, or could be a bad controller. The sensor is located on top of transmission. If dealer can't get tractor to quit when he is checking it, it can be difficult to diagnose. He should have at least tested and visibly inspected wiring from sensor to the controller. In cases like this, if wiring tests good, I will usually replace the sensor to see if it fixes the problem. If not, then I suspect the controller is bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I’ve passed this along to my dealer service rep. He said to keep running it in the meantime, so I did this evening for about 30 minutes before the problem occurred again. Went to restart and move it 30 minutes later and still no luck. The tractor says it’s in F or R but it doesn’t move when I let off the clutch. Hopefully I hear an action plan tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Which trans configuration do you have 16/16 ,12/4,pr,ss?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A faulty speed sensor appears to be the problem. Thank you. This took a fair amount of debugging to pinpoint. Hours. JD tech was here the last couple days driving it and running diagnostics. I’ll report back if the problem resurfaces, but for now I’m back up and running. Glad about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the problem I reported earlier with this thread has returned. Replacing the speed sensor did seem to resolve the problem at first. The drive didn’t quit as early as it had been. And I have been able to restart the tractor and continue use when it does occur. So marginal improvement, but the drive still cuts out after about an hour of continuous mowing. Then after restart I got about another 20 minutes before it quit again. Seems like something in there is overheating and causing the drive system to malfunction. I’ll just be cruising along mowing at about 2 mph and 1600 rpm in 540e when the tractor just stops moving. No error code is thrown now. I can restart the tractor and mow a little longer, but the issue returns. Every time I’m checking that I’m still in gear, and that isn’t not something simple like it slipped out of gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts