Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I’ve been reading on this forum for awhile now and finally decided to write my first post. My family and I are going to start doing our own hay and I have been looking at round balers. I think I’ve decided on the 460m. My question is if the 5085e will be big enough to run the baler all the time. It is relatively flat where we are. Will be doing about 600 acres a year. Thanks for all your feedback!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
85 HP should be plenty of tractor, I like that the M has the option of twine or wrap. Wrap makes a much neater looking bale, our Gehl is twine only and that's the only thing we don't like about it.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Should be enough tractor to do anything you want. Check your manual though.. this what our says for tractor requirements. We have a New Holland 640 just twine no net.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello everyone. I’ve been reading on this forum for awhile now and finally decided to write my first post. My family and I are going to start doing our own hay and I have been looking at round balers. I think I’ve decided on the 460m. My question is if the 5085e will be big enough to run the baler all the time. It is relatively flat where we are. Will be doing about 600 acres a year. Thanks for all your feedback!
Since you looking at a 460m, I'm assuming you want to bale more than just hay, as the 460m does silage and precut crop which can be very heavy. You would want to have a tractor weight match the weight of what your baling or weigh more. Some of those balers looked to be rated at 1000 pto and some at 540 pto. I would check with your dealer on the baler pto rating, which can help you choose a new baler or larger tractor.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Dude, for 600 acres, go a little bigger. I would look at a 6E series. A 6 series can bale much, much faster and run a baler way more comfortably than a 5 series.

For a 460m, you should be fine with 85 HP, but like I said, I would go bigger.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Jeff B

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dude, for 600 acres, go a little bigger. I would look at a 6E series. A 6 series can bale much, much faster and run a baler way more comfortably than a 5 series.

For a 460m, you should be fine with 85 HP, but like I said, I would go bigger.
Yea I totally agree. 600 acres I'd be getting a 6 series. 600 acres your going to need 3 tractors and 3 balers for that much land.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yea I totally agree. 600 acres I'd be getting a 6 series. 600 acres your going to need 3 tractors and 3 balers for that much land.
I agree, 600 acres is an awful lot of round bales. Definitely more than one tractor is going to keep up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll be running two balers. I already have the 5085e and will be getting a 6 series (still undecided on what) but I was hoping that the 5085 will run one since I already have it. I just have been worried that it will be putting a lot of wear on it being as small as it is.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Going off what the brochure says a 5085E might be iffy. Depending on how you option it you will need a minimum of either 65 PTO HP or 85 PTO HP. A 5085E likely doesn't make 85 PTO HP.
Screenshot_2018-10-17-21-32-50.jpg

I agree with others. For 600 acres you will likely wish you had stepped up to a larger machine if you don't. I also agree a 6E series would be a good option if you stay JD. Do you have 600 acres overall or will be doing a total of 600 acres worth of cutting/baling a year? We bale about 60 acres and usually get 3 cuts a year so 180 acres roughly a year. For 600 acre make sure you invest in good equipment that will speed up your production. For example I don't like always fixing our disc mower, having a heavy implement on my 3PH, or having to ted hay so I thinking of buying one of those Reese drum mowers that you pull off the drawbar, and that has the optional tedder assemby mounted on it. That would likely fix all those issues unless it rains and I have to re-ted, or if the drum mower maintenance free hype is over-rated. I'm just saying to do things and invest in equipment to help you save time. Overbudgeting on too small of equipment, or buying wornout junk to use gets old when your taking forever to get a job done or having to fix something.

I just remember being a kid farming hay with an old 8N, and a Farmall M. A bush hog and a wornout old JD square baler as well. Sure don't miss throwing square bales. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with buying quality equipment I like to limit working on things as much as possible. About 300 of the acres will be prairie hay so it will only get cut once. The other 300 will be grass and we usually get 3 cuttings unless it is as wet as it has been this year. Still waiting on the 3rd cutting. We’ve had it custom baled for about 10 years and just getting tired on waiting on others. So we just decided to get back into it ourselves. Now it’s just time to pair up some equipment together. Starting to think the 5085 might not be feasible to use with the baler.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Be sure to buy good quality equipment, unless you want to spend a lot of your time with repairs. With that much acreage, it will wear out fast enough anyway. The guy that does the baling around here has a JD big round baler, but I don't know the model number. It pops out 1000-1200# bales is all I can say. He pulls it with a Ford New Holland with 76HP and I believe that is at the PTO and has no problems. He said it was rated to need an 80HP tractor.

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 12 of 12 Posts