Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am BRAND NEW to this forum, but joined here looking for a good resource to help me with my tractor. I bought a brand new 5085E Cab tractor 2 months ago today. I love everything about it, but I'm having two issues with it.
The first is the check engine light coming on. The tech visiting the farm said it is an exhaust sensor, but he was having trouble with his laptop to sort out the fix and is supposed to come back tomorrow. If I cycle the ignition (shut tractor down, then restart) the check engine light turns off. This does not seem to interfere with tractor use.
The second issue is I've had the PTO shut itself off or just stop working in the middle of operating: several times with a 6' Power Rake, and today with the MX6 bushhog. I thought the Power Rake issue was just the tractor overpowering the clutch of the rake, but now I know different. Today using the MX6 after about 1 hour it just quit, of course right after the problem 1 showed up again (see above). I could NOT get the PTO to re-engage. I finally took the MX6 off the tractor, cycled the ignition (turned tractor off and restarted), and I was finally able to get the PTO engaged with nothing attached. I checked the MX6 and I can easily turn the drive shaft with one hand, so no binding or lockup/differential issues here. I was wondering if there is a safety feature whereby if the check engine lamp is lit (code set) then the PTO becomes disabled? IF so then there is nothing wrong with my PTO, but if not, then I clearly have two problems with my brand new tractor with 28 hours on it! (I'm a weekend farmer wannabe :) )
When the tech comes out again tomorrow, I will have him look into the PTO issue as well and post the answers here. I was wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and knows what might be wrong.

Greg in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome from Lancaster, PA! I'm also a farmer wannabe, and only have about 1.5 acres :laugh:. I'm sure someone here will come along and give some advise. I only dabble with a little 1 series, not in the big leagues like yourself.

Good luck! Your dealer will most likely be your biggest asset, next to GTT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have sort of had the same issue with my 5055.

Do you have a lever that selects 2 speeds for your PTO, 550 constantly or based on engine RPM?

Mine is down on the left hand side and when I put it in 550 RPM constant it pops out, lites come on, PTO stops working etc.

But if I keep it in based on engine RPM it works fine

It's not enough of an issue to bother me to call the dealer but that has made a difference for me

In 550 constant it dies, based on engine RPM works fine

Check that out and see if it works for you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also bought a new 5085e about three months ago. They delivered it and the same day I hooked it up to a 84 inch frail mower and the pto would not engage. After pushing the pto knob up and down several times I finally got it going. I have also used it on a Vermeer baler and it does the same thing. I have a hard time starting mine but after I get it started it will work good. The pto does the same thing if I have it in regular or economy pto. Have tried starting in low and high rpm's, still hard to get started. Talked to the dealer and they are going to fix when I get thru with the tractor this fall.

Another problem I have is spongy brakes. Sometimes when I hit the breaks the pedal will almost go to the floor. I can pump it and it will hold. My place has several hills, the first time mowing with the tractor I thought I was a goner. I have got good at pumping the breaks, when they get them fixed I wonder how long it will take to break the habit?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Having been employed for over 21 yrs by a JD dealer several yrs back I can't understand why tractor manufacturers have elected to go with so many electrically controlled functions. I'll take a manual operated control valve any day over electrically controlled on a farm implement. One better hope they never have a RODENT problem. My guess on non-operating pto is caused by bad switch or relay or speed sensor or loose wire.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Do you have a lever that selects 2 speeds for your PTO, 550 constantly or based on engine RPM?

Mine is down on the left hand side and when I put it in 550 RPM constant it pops out, lites come on, PTO stops working etc.

I'd like to know more about a "constant 550 rpm". Any pto speed I'm aware of is proportionally dependent on engine rpm. I'm aware of EPTO but it's rpm is affected by engine rpm's.
Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It's not enough of an issue to bother me to call the dealer but that has made a difference for me

In 550 constant it dies, based on engine RPM works fine

Check that out and see if it works for you
Yes, I have the ePTO option. I AM working in the economy mode. When the PTO stopped working the first few times, I would just push the knob in, and pull it back out and it would start up again. It just wouldn't on Sunday. I'm sure this is electrical. My thoughts are it is either the seat switch (my butt has to be in the seat), or some other sensor (PTO speed or RPM) is either shorting out or has a loose connection. It's under warranty of course. It's just annoying that the rare day that I have off from work, AND the weather cooperates, my tractor is not functioning as designed. I'm sure we'll get it worked out. I have similar problems when I buy new vehicles. It just takes a bit to get it all sorted out and then usually things are great.
BTW, when I couldn't get the PTO to re-engage I did try putting it into normal PTO mode, and it still wouldn't work. Cycling the ignition seemed to work this one time, which makes me wonder about the check engine code set causing a protective PTO-disabling function. I know in my sportscar if a tire pressure sensor goes bad the ability to defeat active handling or traction control is disabled.

Greg in Kentucky

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
gtldvm;

:gtfam:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gtldvm;

:gtfam:
Thanks!

Update #1: Parts are ordered by the dealer, and they have to send a truck tomorrow morning to pick up the tractor. My senses tell me there is likely a control module that deals with both issues that are faulty, but then again, I could have 2 separate issues. Either way, I think they are to turn the tractor around in 24 hours and get it back to me. I hope so. I finally have a weekend off and it is not supposed to rain! So I need the tractor back to get stuff done, like splitting more wood, bushhogging, etc.
I will update again with what had to be fixed once I find out.

Greg in Kentucky

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to know more about a "constant 550 rpm". Any pto speed I'm aware of is proportionally dependent on engine rpm. I'm aware of EPTO but it's rpm is affected by engine rpm's.
Thanks,Jim
Jim, the PTO does vary with RPM's in either standard PTO or ePTO. If I have the throttle set to the RPM's appropriate to the specific mode, it will show 540 on the LCD display. I believe it is 1700 RPM for the ePTO, and 2500 RPM for standard PTO. If the RPM's are varied off these numbers at all the PTO speed will change. I will say when using ePTO for bush hogging or running my Power Rake, the tractor is super smooth and quiet. At standard PTO...not so much.

Just confirming your thoughts,

Greg in Kentucky

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also bought a new 5085e about three months ago. They delivered it and the same day I hooked it up to a 84 inch frail mower and the pto would not engage. After pushing the pto knob up and down several times I finally got it going. I have also used it on a Vermeer baler and it does the same thing. I have a hard time starting mine but after I get it started it will work good. The pto does the same thing if I have it in regular or economy pto. Have tried starting in low and high rpm's, still hard to get started. Talked to the dealer and they are going to fix when I get thru with the tractor this fall.

Another problem I have is spongy brakes. Sometimes when I hit the breaks the pedal will almost go to the floor. I can pump it and it will hold. My place has several hills, the first time mowing with the tractor I thought I was a goner. I have got good at pumping the breaks, when they get them fixed I wonder how long it will take to break the habit?
I'm not sure I'd screw around waiting for fall with the brake problem! The only thing worse than wrecking a new tractor is getting hurt doing it! I'm not having any problems with my brakes, and I have LOTS of hills. In fact, when I use the Power Reverser I most often have to apply the brakes as the tractor changes direction. Once backing down a slight slope towards a large tree, I pushed the lever into forward and the tractor shot backwards like I'd pushed in the clutch and just let run! Fortunately I caught the tractor with the brakes and didn't hit anything, but it scared me. Now I'm covering the brake whenever I change directions on any slope.

Greg in Kentucky

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 5075e and my brakes do the same thing.one pump of the pedal and there right back to the top i tried other tractors at the dealer and they were all the same.The tech at the dealer said this was normal because of the clearance at the brake actuator push rods.It is not a comfortable feeling.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just thinking on your shifting and covering your brake do you have a modulate r valve then changes the shift from soft to harsh if you do maybe want to try some adjustment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thinking on your shifting and covering your brake do you have a modulate r valve then changes the shift from soft to harsh if you do maybe want to try some adjustment
No modulator valve that I've found on the tractor or in the manual. But I'll look again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Well they've had the tractor for 11 days at the dealership. The PTO was a bad PTO modulator (sensor?), and apparently has happened to a number of the 5085e's. The check engine light has been the big issue that has kept the tractor in the dealership. After quite a few hours working on the tractor and a LOT of back and forth with John Deere, the first problem was a pin-hole leak in the exhaust manifold "cooler", causing antifreeze to be dumped into the exhaust, fouling the sensor in the exhaust. After ordering the part for that and installing it, the tractor still kept throwing codes. They ended up "borrowing" parts from another tractor and installed them one at a time to see when the code stopped being thrown. They had it narrowed down to the ECU, the exhaust sensor, and the wiring harness itself. Swapping out the ECU fixed everything. So now they've ordered a new ECU that should arrive Thursday, at which time they will install it and flash the program into it and should get it back to me on Friday. TWO whole weeks I haven't gotten anything done that I needed to before the winter weather set in. We got just short of 5" of snow Sunday night into Monday morning, and the high temperature today was 19 degrees. Not to mention I use the tractor for clearing snow. I sure am glad I hadn't moved forward on selling my snow-blower, as it saved my bacon digging out from the first snow of the year.

Greg in Kentucky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts