Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I’ve been tasked as a mechanic a bit out of my lane to troubleshoot a 5100E that has been nothing but problems with the DPF.
Back story is that for over a year, park was broken so a forced regeneration could never be commanded. It got to the point of dealership required service and was operated with derated power, regen light lit, along with the stop operation light. The tractor is a solo unit with a hay fork to move bales onto flat bed trucks at an equestrian center feeding 100s of horses a day so it is what it is to push through operation.
Two months ago a loaner tractor was sourced so this one could go to the dealer for a $14K repair of a new DPF, transmission, and while they had it split a might as well clutch.
Since returning, I’ve educated the operators on watching for the regen light and not to shut it down while this happens. The passive regen happened a few times no problems until yesterday.
The tractor is now requesting a parked regen, and I was called in because the operator was unfamiliar and didn’t want to do it wrong. I successfully started the park regen, but The outside air temp was over 100 and twenty minutes in the first stage the stop light annunciation displayed with hydraulic temperature high. I canceled the regen and idled for two minutes to cool and shut down for the day. This morning I came in an hour before the shift started at 70 degrees OAT, successfully commanded a park regen, watched stage one display 1 to 100, stage two display 1 to 100, and a third stage not displaying anything that lasted to about 45 minutes overall before it idled down automatically. Now the bitch is the park regen light on the switch and display is still blinking, warning light still beeping, and was still derated power for the rest of the day. I’m going to go in early tomorrow morning and force another park regen, but if that doesn’t clear things up, what is anyone’s thoughts? The dealer over the phone today was simply, “You’re gonna have to bring it in.”

thank you for the help,
Adrianspeeder

• Wow
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow I hope all that's covered by warranty! :(

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I didn't realize we could initiate a parked regen. I thought that was something that had to be done through the software interface.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize we could initiate a parked regen. I thought that was something that had to be done through the software interface.
If the perameters are met, the park switch is blinking, PTO is off, transmission is in park, you hold the switch for 3 seconds and the forced regen starts.

The following stage is where the regen light is lit, but has the stop light lit. That is a dealer required regen with a laptop connected.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning friends,

Arrived before the work day and started the forced park regeneration.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Trip computer Odometer

Speedometer Car Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Gauge

Stage one complete
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge

stage two took twenty minutes before competing at 100, then stage three started. Not sure what it does as only the hour meter is showing.

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Trip computer Tachometer

At about 45 minutes after starting…

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Trip computer

We are back to where we started. There has to be no soot left after all this cooking. I don’t understand it.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello friends. John Deere tech finally came out with the magic laptop. Allegedly over 100 passive regens failed to complete, and five more commanded parked regens plus the three I did couldn’t clean it out enough. They are removing the DPF next week to be baked in an oven. His recommendation was to always operate the tractor at 1800 rpm in A gear with 1st or second to do our loader work.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Adrianspeeder
Thanks for coming back to let us know the fix on a replaced DPF. This should serve as a warning to work these new tractors hard and up to temperature... I've been doubtful about the mid sized utility tractors. Chores are short runs and barely up to temp. I try to keep the DPF tractor on long running jobs to heat it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not so much the time, as this runs hours a day with loader work at idle with big bales and scooping horse ****, but needing more sustained RPMs.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Sky

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JD isn't going to be able to come out pull the DPF for a bake in an oven and return the next day for the minimum downtime for a few weeks. Idled around loading poop yesterday. Not a fan.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JD was finally able to come pull the DPF, cook it overnight, and get it back running. Now I got a hydraulic overtemp light. I hate this stupid thing.

Car Green Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Green Motor vehicle Asphalt

Adrianspeeder

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I haven't had regen issues with my 2014 5100e, I did discover that all the coolers were very plugged with grass seed etc. I had no overheating lamps illuminate, but with the other issue I was having (1209.07) I wanted to be sure they were clean. Visually they looked ok, but I got a Radiator Genie hose wand anyway, and I was amazed at all the debris I was able to wash out. I was surprised with that amount of clogging that it wasn't overheating.

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaaaand 17 days later after the DPF was "cleaned" it's asking for a parked regen. @#$% this tractor.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer tech returned and found some damaged wires from the last repair of a different tech that wouldn’t let it regen. Filter rebake was free.
I have a 2 year old JD 5065E that is set up for sod harvesting. The regen system on this tractor has been nothing but problems, because the tractor can not run at rpm greater than 1800 and harvest sod at the same time. Gearing and hydraulic system requires the unit to run about 1600 RPMs to get the ground speed correct and provide proper flow for the hydraulics. And of courser the operators are completely oblivious to the RED LIGHT letting them know the tractor needs to undergo a parked regen.

I own multiple heavy trucks, excavators, track loaders and other equipment that have regen system on them. I promise you that more than half of all problems with all of these different pieces of equipment revolve around the exhaust regen system. And of course all of them require the support of a Dealer only computer system to determine the exact nature of the problems. Current site visit for Volvo Heavy Equipment to run the computer is $1500. Took my 2014 Freightliner in to have the computer system updated one month ago. The computer diagnostic/update fee was $185 I was told before dropping the truck. Picked it up the next day, the bill was $988. No wrench was turned, no parts replaced, nothing but an update to one of the three computers on the truck. Guess which computer needed updating. Yep, the exhaust management computer system. No reasonable explanation was given for the massive price difference.

If you would like a discussion about how bad I hate equipment with exhaust management system, we would need a less polite place for me to expand on my hatred of exhaust management systems.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lots of RVs (that used to be diesel) are now running gasoline. I wonder if tractors over 24HP are going to making the switch as well. Seems like there have to be plenty of good 3-4 cylinder spark ignited engines out there that would work just fine in a tractor. I wouldn't want one buzzing along at 5,500 RPM. But the new direct injected engines are exceptionally efficient, quiet, and don't require all this garbage on the exhaust.

Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 18 of 18 Posts