Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of breaking the transmission housing in half? Moving hay out of fields with gooseneck trailer on 3pt hitch, pulling up grade out of fields, split wide open and looks like cab holding it together.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
One does not simply start a thread about a tractor breaking in half, and not share pictures.

D7C4202C-DCBE-4A81-82B9-8FD9041BFD4E.jpeg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Anyone ever heard of breaking the transmission housing in half? Moving hay out of fields with gooseneck trailer on 3pt hitch, pulling up grade out of fields, split wide open and looks like cab holding it together.
yes, of course!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have actually seen videos of tractors being ripped in half where the transmission housing meets the engine, or further back in some cases, usually when doing something stupid like using a 40K lb articulating tractor to pull a much smaller tractor out of a very deep mud hole, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't figure out how to get them from my phone. It is definitely cracked all the way, open up about an inch on top. We used to have a 30ft trailer with axles 2ft back from center that we used in this manner for years. He traded it for a 2012 Texas Longhorn, and got boot?? Texas Longhorn 35ft with dovetail, axles about the same location but it puts 4 more 4x5 rolls on tractor, had 18 on it, I think it bounced and snapped the housing. The casting looks pretty sorry, looks like sand in some spots, I guess the E means castings from China

·
Registered
167 Posts
The E series tractors are not full frame tractors like the M series. When i read this yesterday thats what i thought overloaded and most likely bounced. Did it damage both sides where it bolts together.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
JDSwan87, thanks for helping out the OP and posting photos........

I would like to hear some more details about the tractor and incident..

How long has the OP had the tractor and how many hours are on the tractor?

Sure hate to see such catastrophic damage.......................especially on a Green Machine and for a member on the GTT site........

Just curious, What does a 4 x 5 bale weigh?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

I'm interested to see how this plays out, you would not expect to even be able to do that kind of damage to a tractor without something exceptional happening.

Probably right about a bad casting, what a shame.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
JDSwan87, thanks for helping out the OP and posting photos........

I would like to hear some more details about the tractor and incident..

How long has the OP had the tractor and how many hours are on the tractor?

Sure hate to see such catastrophic damage.......................especially on a Green Machine and for a member on the GTT site........

Just curious, What does a 4 x 5 bale weigh?
Bale weight is hard to estimate, too many factors. How dry/wet when baled ? How tight the bale was rolled. Grass is lighter than alfalfa. Could be light as 400lbs heavy as 1200lbs. I would "guess" 800-900lb range.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Maybe he has the JD financial Insurance and is covered :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Jdgriffin857
I'll 2nd what Zebrafive stated but it doesn't have to be JD insurance. Do you have any type comprehensive insurance coverage on this tractor? If so insurance should pay for repair. I've had a tractor & rd baler burnt in separate fires & disk mower that hit a hidden concrete obstruction in hay field all replaced by insurance company

·
Registered
210 Posts
Holy chit!

NOTE TO SELF:
Do not buy John Deere 5101E tractors

Hopefully this gets worked out for you without too much trouble.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Insurance claim

Jdgriffin857
I'll 2nd what Zebrafive stated but it doesn't have to be JD insurance. Do you have any type comprehensive insurance coverage on this tractor? If so insurance should pay for repair. I've had a tractor & rd baler burnt in separate fires & disk mower that hit a hidden concrete obstruction in hay field all replaced by insurance company
It's worthwhile to check on insurance but if it broke in "normal" operation, I doubt the company will pay the claim. Ditto with JD standing behind the product. Unless there's clear evidence of a bad casting which can really only be determined once it's taken apart, JD is probably going to claim operator error of some kind.

Bottom line is the OP needs the tractor and it's going to be a bit sticky to get it resolved. Whatever shop it goes into should preserve every part for the OP and he may end up having to have the casting examined/scanned to try and prove it was defective. I hope it's not that hard but could be. I think we spent something like $12,000 the last time we had a tractor split for a clutch and the parts were just normal wear parts in the clutch assembly, not a casting which obviously won't be cheap.

Best case would be if JD steps up and says those castings should never break like that, we'll fix it.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I do not see how this can be blamed on the tractor.
A loaded gooseneck trailer is not intended to be pulled by a tractor 3 point hitch. The weight of the pin should be on or in front of an axle..

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I dont know much about the larger tractors, but are they rated with a maximum drawbar pull weight, or other max pulling weight spec?

Going by other numbers posted here, 800# bale weight, if thats what it was, would put it at 14,400 pounds. Dont know the weight of the trailer itself, but a similar trailer with a rating high enough to handle that much weight is about 9000 pounds.
Thats near 24,000 pounds. If the bales were 1000# instead, its creeping up on 28,000.

Now, Im not saying it was overloaded or wasnt, just that I dont know what overloaded would be with that size tractor, and Id like to know if there even is such a thing.
The manual, the one I could find, only says to limit the vertical load on the drawbar itself, as overloading can cause transaxle damage. This was on the 3-pt, so maybe thats different?

Sure hope someone steps up to take care of it for the OP if it was a bad casting.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
25,000-30,000 pounds of dynamic bouncing load on a 3 point hitch :flag_of_truce:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts