Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 5105 (50hp) with 4WD and looking at a semi mount JD MX8 cutter.
Any thoughts on this combination or the MX8 in general?

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
MX8s with made in Spain gear boxes have had output shaft failures. John Deere has not stood behind them. For that reason I would NOT buy one. I would buy a Bush Hog, 3008, Landpride RCF3096, Rhino Turbo96, or Woods DS96. I am sure there are other good brands I have missed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good friend bought an 8 ft Bush Hog brand rotary mower for use behind his 55 HP Allis Chalmers D-17 and was greatly disappointed in what he could mow. He bought a 75 HP Allis 185 but lost the ground before he had a chance to try the bigger tractor on the Bush Hog.

According to TractorData the later 5105's had slightly more powerful engines than the early ones. If you have a late model 5105 you should be able to mow O-K at slower speeds, an early one would be at even slower speeds. Not knowing what kind of ground and vegetation you're mowing I can't give you actual speeds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a similar 5105 and a MX10. Though I have never used the two in common instead used my 5410.
The mx 8 and 10 share the manual. There is three point, semi mount, and what I have pull type. For some reason they rate the pull type as needing less hp as I recall. I have the made in Spain gear boxes which I think are good to twice the hp of a 5105 and never an issue. I have the three wheels across the back instead of the two often seen. This is superior for rough ground and soft ground. It is a heavy attachment, heavier with the chain package, I think the slip clutch is sized for something even bigger than a 5410. I forget without going and getting the manual how the semi mount works. It attaches to the draft links in the front and has hydraulic lift to the wheels in the back as I recall. Perhaps the rear wheels need pivot. Is there a logic why you are looking at semi mount instead of pull type?

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you have a late model 5105 you should be able to mow O-K at slower speeds, an early one would be at even slower speeds. Not knowing what kind of ground and vegetation you're mowing I can't give you actual speeds.
Or put one set of tractor wheels in the last pass mowed. Not sure how that would work with the 8 foot model but with the 10 foot one it is an option instead of raising the deck or going slower. Maybe I should say cut not mowed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts