Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a used 516 about an hour away from me. For $400 it was a great deal. Figured if I don’t use it I can even turn a profit on it.

Before I get into it. Can it be easily connected with I match? I know it’s big for my 1025 but will I be ok using it to cut grass under 2’?

I was surprised the 1025 didn’t struggle taking this monster off the trailer

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Today I picked up a used 516 about an hour away from me. For $400 it was a great deal. Figured if I don’t use it I can even turn a profit on it.

Before I get into it. Can it be easily connected with I match? I know it’s big for my 1025 but will I be ok using it to cut grass under 2’?

25 hp is adequate for this cutter, so you should be fine. I use an I hitch with my 3025 and do not have any issues. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts

Should be, as long as the grass is dry........My concern is the large rotational mass of these types of mowers, especially when you get larger than the 48" which Deere recommends for the 1 series. I can't tell from the picture if it has a slip clutch on the mower or if the black plastic is part of the PTO guard.

Make sure it has the soft shear bolts in it to protect the PTO system in your tractor. Also, with the limited lift height of the 1 series, I don't think you will be able to lift the entire mower off the deck (other than with the FEL as shown in the photos....) using the 3 ph......

My greatest concern is starting the big blades on that bad boy spinning and also when it shuts down because of the rotational mass. Should you hit something , scratch that, WHEN you hit something, the potential shock into the 1 series PTO shaft / clutch would be my concern............

Try it and if it seems to strain the machine, clean it up, throw some paint on it and turn a profit on it in a flash. If the tractor seems to handle the mower fine, just restrict it's use to 2' or shorter and be careful with hitting debris...........

Let us know how it works out.............

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I added bushings to it this evening to connect with the quick hitch. The Pto shaft was long so the quick hitch would help save some cutting. I haven’t done any servicing but check the fluid which was clean and full. It has a leaking seal that I will get into rebuilding parts of it and cleaning it up when I’m free.

Started along the ditch by the road and was surprised how well it cut on the first pass. I then went to my neighbours front who I share my pond with. I keep mine cut but they cut it once or twice a year with another neighbours skid steer mower. The area was wet and around 2’ tall, I even found some caragana and popular suckers with decent size to run over. The cutter took it down to about 4” and gave a decent cut.

As for now I will keep using it and keep an eye out if a 4’ cutter goes up for sale.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
Looks like your new cutter did a pretty darn good job.

For $400, you hit a home run. :thumbup1gif:

I don't think I would be "looking" very hard for a 4'er, and unless your a real lucky person, you'll look for a long time before you beat THAT deal.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
937 Posts
That is a great deal and looks to be a in decent condition as well.

Truly the 1025r should not have more than a 48” cutter but I’d do know of people who pull 60” cutters with it. When I used my 1025 the 48” was all it could handle. The 60” I have on the back of my 2038” is all the 2038” could ever want.

Of course it varies by condition and whether you use it like designed or if you baby it.

Good buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts