Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was to attend a local auction today, however, I had to take my wife to the ER instead. All is well. The ad for the auction showed a JD 520 barn tractor. My fellow tractor enthusiast was attending and had one month earlier alerted me to this 520. He said he had seen it in a barn and thought I would like it. I collect letter tractors, not so much the numbers, etc. But it looked complete, but dirty and unkept. So, I was thinking maybe a deal could be had. Here is the picture from the ad.........

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, he asks, and the owner had the tractor painted last week for the auction. I can see a new badge as well, etc....

Anyway, it sold for $4250.00....

Carl

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
well.. new paint is not "restored" condition.

I'm sure you would have rather had it for half the 4250 or less and painted it yourself or Not

I'm a firm believer in keeping the old original look...rust /dents/everything..
Surviver look just like it left the field. Toss some dust on it and call it good.

30 bux of spray paint wrecked it for me..

:munch:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first, I thought they had just washed it. Then I showed the picture (on my phone) to my wife, and she said they painted it. I had to look again and said, I think you're right.

Yep, I would have like it like it was. With a scrub a dub, though....

Carl

·
Administrator
20,290 Posts
That happens all the time at auctions. Unfortunately they paint right over all the problems, leaks, bad tires, worn linkages, burning oil, etc. But dadgum, it sure does look nice! You get too dollar for who know what condition it truly is in. To me, it’s no longer an honest machine. I’d rather have brought it in its previous condition and painted it AFTER any repairs were needed and completed.

It’s really surprising how much more money a paint job will get at auction.

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I've seen a lot worse paint jobs. Ones that look a 16 year old was given two cans of green and a can of yellow spray paint and told make it look good. They paint everything! Grease, dirt, rust, hoses, wires, quick couplers. Over spray on the tires, runs in the paint, thin spots, orange peel.
I must admit they look good at 100 foot and go down hill the closer you get. I much prefer to see honest wear.
I also can not understand how they bring a lot more $$$$$

Same for new tires. I've been to sales where they just had new tires installed on an old beat machine and the bidders go nuts and pay way (then if it had not got new tires) a LOT more than the tires cost to add.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts