Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both rear axle retainer felts are leaking badly. How difficult is it to replace the retainers and felts?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
To correctly repair the leak one needs to remove rockshaft assembly from rear of tractor then remove axles from each bull gear then R&R seal(key 21) inside housing. Actually outer felt is just a dust seal. Have you checked gear oil level to be sure it's not over full?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To correctly repair the leak one needs to remove rockshaft assembly from rear of tractor then remove axles from each bull gear then R&R seal(key 21) inside housing. Actually outer felt is just a dust seal. Have you checked gear oil level to be sure it's not over full?
Thanks for the information. This sounds like a pretty extensive repair. Is this something that a "shade tree mechanic" should attempt? Would it be common for the axles to leak if the gear oil level were over full?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
IIRC axle seals can leak if trans is over full. Check trans level by removing plug on RH side behind rear axle. Oil should be level with inside threads after plug has been removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear Axle Retainers

IIRC axle seals can leak if trans is over full. Check trans level by removing plug on RH side behind rear axle. Oil should be level with inside threads after plug has been removed.
Thanks Jim. I'll check it out. Hopefully will not have to break it down to replace the retainers.

This tractor is new to me and I hope to begin a restoration on it this winter. I restored a '52 M several years ago but wanted a tractor with power steering. My two-year-old grandson loves this "putt-putt." It runs greatmbut the leaky axles and a small hydraulic leak will need to be addressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts