Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some ideas on what to look at with my 5210. I bought the tractor last year from a mechanic who had bought it from a neighbor with a seized engine. He had rebuilt the engine and it has run very well for me over the past year and I have used it with the FEL quite a bit. Problem I have is that the 3 point hitch doesn't work. I knew that going in and he even knocked off an extra $1500 off the price. I am a very mechanical person so I figured I could dig into it and figure it out but mainly was using it for the FEL until now so really hadn't dug that deep into it. I'm now trying to dig into it but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be and don't want to throw parts at it. I have the factory service manual and have gone through the troubleshooting but it doesn't get me to anything conclusive. Here is what it does:

Running at idle, the FEL functions well and will literally pick up a truck, so I think that rules out the pump. When I put the rock arm lever up at idle nothing happens. If I move it to fast idle, the arms very slowly move up. Takes about 45 seconds from bottom to top. If I put my foot on top of one of the arms while it is lifting, they both stop. Once at the top, I can drop them down at what I am assuming is the normal speed. Once they are up, I can stand on the arms (I'm 300lbs) and they don't drop. I jacked up a box blade and left it overnight on the arms and they don't seem to leak down. Couple things I have tried:

1. Drop rate valve. At first, I couldn't move the handle for this valve. Had to work with it a bit and was finally able to turn it. It does appear to effect the rate of drop as tightening it makes the rate come to almost a complete stop, while loosening it makes the arms drop faster. This makes me assume (maybe incorrectly) that the rate of drop valve is okay.
2. I changed the canister filter and put all new fluid in it. Didn't seem to make a difference. It didn't have the screen in the back. I am going to get one from the local dealer and when I dig into this and drain the oil, ill put in the new screen then.
3. I assume (once again perhaps uncorrectly) that the main relief valve isn't the issue as the FEL works very well.
4. I assume that the piston isn't leaking since it isn't leaking down.

Hoping someone else has dealt with something similar or could help me narrow it down. I considered taking it to the local dealer but they are backed up at least a couple weeks and their parts are almost all on backorder.

·
Registered
Cub lo boy 1974 cool attachments
45 Posts
I've had similar problems with my 5220 where it would not lift anything I found out the hydraulic filter was clogged and had to wait 2 months to get it so you may have a clogged filter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had similar problems with my 5220 where it would not lift anything I found out the hydraulic filter was clogged and had to wait 2 months to get it so you may have a clogged filter
Thanks. One of the first things I did was change out that canister filter hoping that was the problem. Did you find there was another filter for the 3 point. I'm thinking if the filter were clogged filter it would affect the FEL as well unless there is another filter that only affects the 3 point

·
Registered
Cub lo boy 1974 cool attachments
45 Posts
I've seen a 5210 before but I never looked at the 3 point because I've never worked on one but it may be the hydraulic connection

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hoping to get some ideas on what to look at with my 5210. I bought the tractor last year from a mechanic who had bought it from a neighbor with a seized engine. He had rebuilt the engine and it has run very well for me over the past year and I have used it with the FEL quite a bit. Problem I have is that the 3 point hitch doesn't work. I knew that going in and he even knocked off an extra $1500 off the price. I am a very mechanical person so I figured I could dig into it and figure it out but mainly was using it for the FEL until now so really hadn't dug that deep into it. I'm now trying to dig into it but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be and don't want to throw parts at it. I have the factory service manual and have gone through the troubleshooting but it doesn't get me to anything conclusive. Here is what it does:

Running at idle, the FEL functions well and will literally pick up a truck, so I think that rules out the pump. When I put the rock arm lever up at idle nothing happens. If I move it to fast idle, the arms very slowly move up. Takes about 45 seconds from bottom to top. If I put my foot on top of one of the arms while it is lifting, they both stop. Once at the top, I can drop them down at what I am assuming is the normal speed. Once they are up, I can stand on the arms (I'm 300lbs) and they don't drop. I jacked up a box blade and left it overnight on the arms and they don't seem to leak down. Couple things I have tried:

1. Drop rate valve. At first, I couldn't move the handle for this valve. Had to work with it a bit and was finally able to turn it. It does appear to effect the rate of drop as tightening it makes the rate come to almost a complete stop, while loosening it makes the arms drop faster. This makes me assume (maybe incorrectly) that the rate of drop valve is okay.
2. I changed the canister filter and put all new fluid in it. Didn't seem to make a difference. It didn't have the screen in the back. I am going to get one from the local dealer and when I dig into this and drain the oil, ill put in the new screen then.
3. I assume (once again perhaps uncorrectly) that the main relief valve isn't the issue as the FEL works very well.
4. I assume that the piston isn't leaking since it isn't leaking down.

Hoping someone else has dealt with something similar or could help me narrow it down. I considered taking it to the local dealer but they are backed up at least a couple weeks and their parts are almost all on backorder.
You don't happen to have the draft control all of the way on, by chance?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sound like a supply to valve problem ... Logic. The pump is working since the FEL is working. Oil is captured once it lifts the three point. But getting to the valve, there's something that bypasses the valve. Could be a crack in the housing. Although it could be internal to the control valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sound like a supply to valve problem ... Logic. The pump is working since the FEL is working. Oil is captured once it lifts the three point. But getting to the valve, there's something that bypasses the valve. Could be a crack in the housing. Although it could be internal to the control valve.
To your point, I've been looking at the schematic in the service manual. If I'm reading this right (and I'd like to think I am) the oil enters the SCV and exits into the rockshaft. Being that I have FEL function, I'm thinking that it has to be either:

1. The SCV has some kind of blockage that is keeping it from getting oil to the rockshaft housing. But is this even possible as doesn't it have to push the oil through the rockshaft housing to return it to the resevoir?
2. The rockshaft valve itself has some kind of blockage. This would keep the full pressure from getting through to the rockshaft cylinder and cause what I am seeing.
3. I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it above, but the housing has some kind of crack. This would leak fluid either before or after the valve. I really hope this isn't the problem
4. The rockshaft cylinder seals are leaking. I think this would cause the slow operation, but I also think it would cause the arms to drop under load or over time, which they don't. Am I right in this assumption?

Schematic Slope Font Rectangle Parallel

Font Number Circle Screenshot Document

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
By draft control, do you mean the draft sensing lever beside the rockshaft lever? I have tried that in both positions and it seems to only affect the lowering of the hitch.
Yes. If it is completely engaged, the hitch can act very erratically. But if you had it both completely on and completely off and still have problems, it's not the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.