Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 5210 that makes a sound in or out of MFWD I have a loader on it and if I lift the wheel off the ground and spin it no grinding sound is made but when I lower it and go forward or backwards it does. I haven't tried seeing if the rim bolts nuts are tight yet. The tractor is 1 hour away. Just seeing if anyone would know what to look for. Thank you

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hello I have a 5210 that makes a sound in or out of MFWD I have a loader on it and if I lift the wheel off the ground and spin it no grinding sound is made but when I lower it and go forward or backwards it does. I haven't tried seeing if the rim bolts nuts are tight yet. The tractor is 1 hour away. Just seeing if anyone would know what to look for. Thank you
Has it been leaking at all? Sounds like a bearing or something is ate up. I would drop the oil out and look at it first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
175 Posts
Noise in Right Front

No oil leaks at all it is very clean I can do that also dump the oil and see what it looks like Thanks
I would drain the 90 wt gear oil in a clean pan or white bucket. I would then wrap a cloth around a magnet, and see if it picks up any metal filings or chunks. If it does pick up metal particles, I would also drain the differential oil, and do the same.

Filings or chunks in the oil mean bad things!

You didn't describe the "when it makes" the noise --- in 2wd in forward? in 2wd reverse?
in 4wd in forward ? in 4wd reverse?

not at all when wheel rotates in either direction, but noise occurs when the knuckle/spindle is steered left? right?

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
Can you tell if the noise is from the hub or the axle shaft? Maybe lift with the loader and see if you can feel any play in the axle U-Joints?
Maybe steering left or right will give a better view of the axle joints???

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell if the noise is from the hub or the axle shaft? Maybe lift with the loader and see if you can feel any play in the axle U-Joints?
Maybe steering left or right will give a better view of the axle joints???
It seems to do it in or out of FWD it does it with the wheels straight or turning and when in FWD it doesn't seem to lurch when pulling a implement I did buy some 1GL to change it out and see if I have fillings, chunks will do the magnet thing also Thank you Adolph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to do it in or out of FWD it does it with the wheels straight or turning and when in FWD it doesn't seem to lurch when pulling a implement I did buy some 1GL to change it out and see if I have fillings, chunks will do the magnet thing also Thank you Adolph
It seems to be on the outside of the hub not on the inside by the CV joint knuckle

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
It seems to be on the outside of the hub not on the inside by the CV joint knuckle
I would take it apart and see if I can spot the problem.

First drain and see if the correct amount of oil come out. About 5/8 of a quart.

I would have O-rings key 5 & 20 on hand.

Remove two screws key 19, then it should come apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would take it apart and see if I can spot the problem.

First drain and see if the correct amount of oil come out. About 5/8 of a quart.

I would have O-rings key 5 & 20 on hand.

Remove two screws key 19, then it should come apart.
Hello I was able to get to the tractor I drained hub oil no fillings or chunks. I did bring my 3/4" breaker bar and sockets I could turn the nuts on the outside rim a half a turn. I started the tractor up and so far bad grinding sound is gone Hope that's all it was thanks all that helped me. Adolph

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You did refill the hub, right?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts