Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend with a flywheel problem (had to change starter ring gear) and we are having a dickens of a time getting the flywheel back on his 1953 60. It was difficult enough getting it off with a puller but going back on is proving harder. We are afraid to beat on it (don't want to crack the cast iron) and are afaid to drive wedges to spread it for the same fear. Can any one offer some sage advice?

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
I would use the wedges. Just don't get overly zealous with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for all the delay but here is an update. The wedges didn't work. The flywheel simply would not go and we wound up damaging it in the process. We took the original FW to a machine shop and had them swap the ring gear from the new damaged FW to the original. While we were at it we had him measure the splines on the shaft and found they where not straight or parallel. Whoever had the tractor before my bud had damaged it somehow. The machine shop cleaned and trued them up and the original FW slid on like the tractor was new. All good.

Attached are a few pics of the various A's and B's as well as the back end of the 60.

The 60.

The A waiting its turn.

The B's warming up before play time. It was a bit chilly that day.

Sorry for the lousy pic quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts