Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with fuel, 5310 cut off while cutting grass. It would restart, showing low RPM's, then the RPM's would kick up to normal. Run for 10 mins and do it again. cut it off at the house and it would not restart. Not turn over or anything. Headlights working ok. charged the battery. still would not start. sounds like the ignition switch to me???? Or do you think the starter?. What would you look at first.

thanks for the advice

Charlie

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If starter solenoid won't click when ign key is turned to start position but head lamps will light up I'll suggest to check neutral start circuit/switches. Also check battery ground cable where it attaches to frame. Have you checked all fuses to be sure they're good?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Clean the battery terminals and grounds first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Stopped by JD dealer and explained situation. THe dealership is 3 hrs away from the tractor. He suggested I test for a cold start assist switch by unhooking the switch and trying to start it. He gave me the wrong switch, but it lead me to the fuse which was blown. Replace the fuse and she fired right up. Ran good for two days, then blew another fuse. And another. And another. Ran out of fuses, so I called a former JD repairman who is going to look at it next week. Thanks for the help. EDIT TO ADD: I unhooked the cold sensor switch and never put on a replacement. the replacement i was given would not hook up to the connections on my tractor.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Disconnect the cold start sensor from wiring harness and install a new fuse and try again.
^^^^^THIS, stop wasting fuses, until you replace the cold start sensor. Leave it unplugged!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe not explained thoroughly, but that's where i got to yesterday. I never reinstalled the cold sensor switch. It cranked up several times the next day, then it started blowing fuses again.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Remove all doubt and quickly take this tractor and trade it in on a new 5125R/cab. Problem solved. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is #2 what you disconnected? Part number should be RE503242. It goes into the thermostat housing.
Yes, This is what I unplugged, but mine has a single lead coming out of the plug that screws into the thermo housing. The part I got from JD dealer has the same connections as you show, and in fact is the same part number. I will try to upload a pic of mine.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yes, This is what I unplugged, but mine has a single lead coming out of the plug that screws into the thermo housing. The part I got from JD dealer has the same connections as you show, and in fact is the same part number. I will try to upload a pic of mine.
Item in your photo is not the cold start sensor RE503242 that jd110 posted a photo of but it's the glow plug part #.RE502079

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts