Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started doing my 50 hours service on my 1023E today and began yesterday with pressure washing the deck and cleaning, today started to grease and check the gearbox oil and found this cap or vent bent I have no idea how it could have happened. Does anybody might know what it hit under the tractor and should I replace it. I tried to find a part # but can’t find one if any one would know.
Thanks

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade
Interest: Woodworking-Tractors-Chris-Craft Boats.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,910 Posts
Yes, definitely replace it. There are several threads on this subject. It is item#38 below.

38JD5801Pressure Relief Fitting1

PART DETAILS

Part Number:
JD5801
Part Price: 1.83 USD Each
On Hand:
3 Check Other Stores
Description: Pressure Relief Fitting - VALVE, RELIEF-ALEMITE 131000
Package Quantity:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Replace it and get the gearbox oil changed. Water in the oil probably isn't an issue since the cap is still there but I ruined a gearbox because the cap came off and water got in.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,192 Posts
I just replaced the same vent. A new one from the dealer was a whopping $1.88. It’s listed as a Pressure Relief Valve, part # JD5801

****The pic on the post above didn’t load before I posted this***
This pass June I paid $1.83 for mine. Same part #. Saved $.05 till I paid for my gas to get it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, definitely replace it. There are several threads on this subject. It is item#38 below.

38JD5801Pressure Relief Fitting1

PART DETAILS

Part Number:
JD5801
Part Price: 1.83 USD Each
On Hand:
3 Check Other Stores
Description: Pressure Relief Fitting - VALVE, RELIEF-ALEMITE 131000
Package Quantity:
What do you think may have done this, I’m sure it must have to do with putting the deck on, last time I did with loader still on wondering if that had to do with it

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
What do you think may have done this, I’m sure it must have to do with putting the deck on, last time I did with loader still on wondering if that had to do with it

Yep most likely. You may have had the bucket to low. That said, I know there are users that leave their FEL on when installing but, IMO and JD recommends it, all weight is supposed to be removed from the front of the tractor when installing the mmm. :bigthumb:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,192 Posts

Might have, could also have been the QH PTO part under the tractor was to high and you over shot the gear box shaft and hit the vent. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,910 Posts
Wow! This is all new to me. Il have to check my cap now... Heck i didn’t know it had fluid in a gearbox that even needed to be changed?
Thanks!
No offense but your Owner's Manual is your friend. Many times a quick read-through can help to avoid costly equipment damage.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Wow! This is all new to me. Il have to check my cap now... Heck i didn’t know it had fluid in a gearbox that even needed to be changed?
Thanks!

Yep and it needs checked on a regular basis also. One easy way to burn up an expensive gearbox is run it low or out of oil.

There is a allen level check plug in it. Can't remember the size. I have gotten in the habit of checking mine when I take the mmm off to clean it routinely. I want no chance of that gearbox not being full of oil. It is a major high speed operation and it gets plenty of use and heat build up. Don't touch it after you just got done mowing.

It has no drain plug so you have to tilt the mmm up to drain it. I usually hang mine on the FEL and drain it and then refill it with a hand pump oil container.
https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-707-Industrial-Oiler-Spout/dp/B00004YK76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534959776&sr=8-2&keywords=oil+can+with+flexible+spout&dpID=31-zlHFHzWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep and it needs checked on a regular basis also. One easy way to burn up an expensive gearbox is run it low or out of oil.

There is a allen level check plug in it. Can't remember the size. I have gotten in the habit of checking mine when I take the mmm off to clean it routinely. I want no chance of that gearbox not being full of oil. It is a major high speed operation and it gets plenty of use and heat build up. Don't touch it after you just got done mowing.

It has no drain plug so you have to tilt the mmm up to drain it. I usually hang mine on the FEL and drain it and then refill it with a hand pump oil container.
https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-707-Industrial-Oiler-Spout/dp/B00004YK76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534959776&sr=8-2&keywords=oil+can+with+flexible+spout&dpID=31-zlHFHzWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Great tip on changing the gearbox fluid I just happened to have me one of those oil cans.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might have, could also have been the QH PTO part under the tractor was to high and you over shot the gear box shaft and hit the vent. :dunno:
Thinking you may be right and now that I think about it I did it in gravel in front of my barn I always do it in grass or in my shop concrete floor. Going to change the fluid because I didn’t notice it until after I pressure washed it so now I’m afraid there could be water inside no sense taken a chance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep most likely. You may have had the bucket to low. That said, I know there are users that leave their FEL on when installing but, IMO and JD recommends it, all weight is supposed to be removed from the front of the tractor when installing the mmm. :bigthumb:
But when you think about the tv commercial you see the girl driving over the MMM with the FEL on so do we call it fake {news} I mean commercial..lol

·
Premium Member
10,910 Posts
But when you think about the tv commercial you see the girl driving over the MMM with the FEL on so do we call it fake {news} I mean commercial..lol
Isn't that the same commercial where they talk about how indispensable the iMatch is and then the next thing you see is the 1-series flying by with a huge 3PH spreader attached (sans iMatch)? :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't that the same commercial where they talk about how indispensable the iMatch is and then the next thing you see is the 1-series flying by with a huge 3PH spreader attached (sans iMatch)? :)
I believe your right, so lesson learned caution putting MMM on with FEL installed or not at all!

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts

Yup, I did it to my pressure relief fitting too, only the whole metal cap was missing with what I assume was some sort of sealing plunger and spring.

I know exactly what happened. I dropped off my virgin MMM in the grass, and when I came back to re-install it, the FEL stand snagged it on the way up the MMM deck and popped the cap off. Of course, by the time I realized it was missing, it was a day later and the pieces were nowhere to be found.

Just installed the new fitting today. Guess I should check the oil level in the MMM gearbox before I use it, because I can't remember if I tipped the deck up on its back edge far enough for any to leak out when I removed the mulch kit. Without the cap on the fitting, it was an open hole down into the gearbox.

I had to use a couple pieces of 15" long 2x8 board to make "ramps" up the rear of the deck to lift the front of the tractor up sooner than normal to get the loader stand to clear the fitting, so I could connect the MMM up again with the loader on.

So, from now on, if my loader is on the tractor, I will be using the two boards when installing or uninstalling the MMM.

Gotta love the learning curve for a new piece of equipment. Luckily, it was only a $1.83 lesson!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most likely that the loader parking stand contacted the vent during mmm removal/ install. Make sure there is no load in the bucket when driving over deck, also double check all of the tractor tire pressures, a slightly low tire can cause concerns. Even if everything is right the parking stand is oh so close during mmm install/remove.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts