Green Tractor Talk banner

54" Blower - does mid-PTO shaft disconnect on both ends?

9K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  jgayman 
#1 ·
My 2720 was delivered this past summer with the 54" blower already attached. I removed the blower and quick-attach for the summer but left the front bearing support and mid-PTO shaft in place as it was not in the way of anything. The dealer is picking up the tractor this week to install the loader so I had to remove the blower, quick-attach, bearing support and mid-PTO shaft in preparation. [ Side note - if being sans tractor doesn't bring on another late March snow I don't know what will ].

The mid-PTO shaft disconnected easily from the tractor but I didn't see any way to disconnect it from the bearing support?

Is this a permanent attachment or is it supposed to come off? I didn't have time to tinker around as I needed to get the blower and chains removed before it got dark.

Appreciate any tips for handling the bearing support / long PTO shaft.

On a side note - I assume that even once the loader brackets and grill guard are installed, when I remove the loader for winter the bearing support for the blower will just slip back on without me needing to actually unbolt anything?

#2 ·
The PTO shaft will slide outta the twin bearing holder on the bracket. When I install the whole setup, I install the bracket first, then slide the PTO shaft into it from the back side (under tractor) then connect the PTO shaft to the tractor at the rear.

#3 ·
I would have assumed that was the same setup as my 2305. The back of long shaft couples to mid PTO drive but the front does NOT come lose from the forward part without disassembling it. If its is supposed to come apart then mine is stuck as I store the thing as one unit and do not remove drive shaft.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll give it another try to disconnect it.

#7 ·
Newt do you have to remove a bolt or anything? I am pretty sure mine has a bolt in between the bearings that I would have to remove to get it to come out.

Rich

#9 ·
Wondering if the changed them. On JDparts it shows two PTO kits a serial number -XXXXXXX and one XXXXXXX-

The latter one like mine has a bolt through it like this.

Attachments

#10 ·
There was a recall on the 1026R's front pto shaft. The first shaft I had had a bolt inbetween the bearings, the one I have now does not have the bolt.

#11 ·
Hi all, I have 2305 & 54" blower my pto is welded but also has a bolt between the bearings.

Doug

Attachments

Reactions: RRMCCABE
#12 ·
Thanks Doug. That is the same setup I have.

Appears the only thing the bolt does is keep the shaft from sliding out. When connected the PTO holds it forward and in place but I suppose this just makes it easier if you don't have to jockey with getting that back in place.

#13 ·
I wouldnt like that bolt in there.. I would want to be able to pull the PTO shaft out whenever I wanted easy like my 2520 hitch is. Both for storage, installing, and when I just want to use the blade and dont want the PTO shaft under the tractor. :unknown:

#14 ·
It definitely would be easier to store with the shaft out but in my case there is no reason to remove the shaft by itself. The frame is the lowest point by far and dropping the assembly out on a 2305 is not a big deal.

I would like to know JD's reasoning on adding the bolt.

#16 ·
On a side note - I assume that even once the loader brackets and grill guard are installed, when I remove the loader for winter the bearing support for the blower will just slip back on without me needing to actually unbolt anything?
You are correct. When our 2520 was delivered with the loader and grill guard, there were spacers between the frame of the tractor and the horizontal supports of the grill guard (the portion that bolts onto the frame). The Front Attaching Kit Support Kit (PN LVB 25302) replaced the spacers...http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ments/2292-2520-snowblower-attaching-kit.html

The Front Attaching Kit Support Kit can stay on the tractor year round regardless of whether you have an FEL or not. When winter comes around and the loader comes off, the Implement Drive & Upstop (PN LVB24902) will mount back up.

Regarding your earlier question about removing the pto shaft, I can confirm what NEWT indicated and yes, the 2 will seperate. Your 2720 has all the same hitches and brackets as our 2520.

Good luck with your task and congratulations on the acquisition of an FEL...it is a wonderful tool.

Doug

Attachments

#17 ·
You are correct. When our 2520 was delivered with the loader and grill guard, there were spacers between the frame of the tractor and the horizontal supports of the grill guard (the portion that bolts onto the frame). The Front Attaching Kit Support Kit (PN LVB 25302) replaced the spacers...http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ments/2292-2520-snowblower-attaching-kit.html

The Front Attaching Kit Support Kit can stay on the tractor year round regardless of whether you have an FEL or not. When winter comes around and the loader comes off, the Implement Drive & Upstop (PN LVB24902) will mount back up.

Doug
Thank you for the reply. That helps. So are you saying that even though I've removed the blower, quick-attach and front PTO bearing support assy - that my tractor still has a "Front Attaching Support Kit" installed on the front? I can go take a photo of the now "naked" front of my tractor if it would help.

Does this change the loader install process or components? Do I need to remind the dealer that I have a front-mounted snow blower?

- John

#19 ·
Perfect! Thank you. Yes, those two plates are still on the tractor. That's the problem I guess with getting accessories installed prior to delivery at the time of purchase, you don't necessarily know what all parts were added.

Hopefully by this time next week I will have the tractor back. I will be sure to post some photos.

#21 ·
I had the items installed by the dealer front guard and mounting brackets.
looks like i learned some thing every day.

Doug

Attachments

#22 ·
the front 2 u joint assembly on my 2305 died after 70 hrs of snowblowing use and it had a bolt through it. the waranty replacement on does not. Works just fine now. I had a awful vibration when the u joints gave up. It actually broke the back steel plate[6 welds broke] off the 2 bearing carrier! It broke on the final day of the warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.