Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 54 D MMM off on Wednesday night to get ready for snow. I stood it up on the back edge of the mower for storage and prepare to clean the underside. I noticed yesterday morning that there is now about a 6" wet spot on the floor underneath the gear box. Is this normal? The tract only has 16 hours on it.

·
Administrator
20,974 Posts
Yes, this can be normal. Most times it comes out of the vent. Some owners experience this issue when storing the mower on edge, others don't. Those that do have found removing the vent and installing a plug works well for storage. Make sure to wire tie the vent plug to the mower so you don't lose it in the spring.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
It is strange, some of the gear boxes must differ from each other slightly. Mine never leaked and this last fall I emptied my gear box and made sure to fill it to its maximum level at the bottom of the side fill plug threads. When I stood it up to store it this winter I felt for sure that it would leak now that I knew it was full, however it didn't.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m glad to hear that it’s typical. I was really concerned that I did something wrong. Don’t want to break anything especially when it’s so new!

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great timing on this question!

I just cleaned mine for the winter and stood it up and the next morning had a nice puddle. Glad to know it somewhat normal because mine is new as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts