Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was installing snowblower on my father-in-laws 1025 and he gave me a tip. I'm not sure if it makes any difference but here is the tip he gave me. He told me to remove shear bolts from augers. Then grease the fitting and spin by hand for each one. Repeat until grease comes out on both ends of auger. Do the same for both sides. Replace shear bolts done. Said it would keep them from rusting inside and binding up over time.:dunno:
So I am going to do the same procedure to mine. Guess it won't hurt anything and might do some good.:good2:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good tip. It probably wouldn't hurt to remove the shear bolt from the impeller and make sure it still moves freely, even if there is no grease fitting.I think some have found it seized when swapping from plastic to steel...

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Good tip. It probably wouldn't hurt to remove the shear bolt from the impeller and make sure it still moves freely, even if there is no grease fitting.I think some have found it seized when swapping from plastic to steel...
Exactly... this has been discussed before. The impeller can rust fast to the shaft in relatively short order. Mine showed significant rust after only one season. It is important that the impeller spins freely to ensure the shear bolt breaks before the gearbox takes a hit.

I just wish JD would have installed a zerk on the steel impeller to make greasing easier (you can't install one on the plastic impeller). I can kick myself for not installing one when I installed the steel impeller.

Reactions: xsrdx
1 - 3 of 3 Posts