Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the deck off to install a mulch kit and am having trouble connecting the PTO shaft. Anybody have any good tips on the install process?

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
I took the deck off to install a mulch kit and am having trouble connecting the PTO shaft. Anybody have any good tips on the install process?
Is drive over deck auto connect or the old standard where you get down on one knee and slide pto shaft on to tractor.

If it is old type , may need to turn the PTO from mower just a little to connect on to tractor..

Also if this hasn't been off for a while, maybe spray a little Wd40 or some type lube to let PTO shaft slide on the shaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is drive over deck auto connect or the old standard where you get down on one knee and slide pto shaft on to tractor.

If it is old type , may need to turn the PTO from mower just a little to connect on to tractor..

Also if this hasn't been off for a while, maybe spray a little Wd40 or some type lube to let PTO shaft slide on the shaft.
Old style deck. I have turned, put on some grease and still can't get the darn thing on. I will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pull the sleeve back on the coupler and it should click open, then line up the splines and it should click on:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Pull the sleeve back on the coupler and it should click open, then line up the splines and it should click on:bigthumb:
That was going to be my next post ,,,Thanks,, As the young kids say LIKE , 99% of the time the sleeve stays back when you remove the coupler..

Like good post...:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
I will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Good to hear ,,let us know if that doesn't work and Thanks to BWG56 for his major answer..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear ,,let us know if that doesn't work and Thanks to BWG56 for his major answer..
Success!! Pulled coupler back. Sprayed spindles with Teflon lubricant, layed on my back on left side of tractor with feet to the rear, with the right hand, I aligned the PTO shaft and with the left I pulled the deck belt to rotate the PTO shaft. Once aligned it clicked on. One other hint is they hydrolic lift arms will stay up even if you think you are lowering them. Pull them down with your hand.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Success!! Pulled coupler back. Sprayed spindles with Teflon lubricant, layed on my back on left side of tractor with feet to the rear, with the right hand, I aligned the PTO shaft and with the left I pulled the deck belt to rotate the PTO shaft. Once aligned it clicked on. One other hint is they hydrolic lift arms will stay up even if you think you are lowering them. Pull them down with your hand.

Thanks for your help guys.
This sounds like a PITA to install. Is this what I am in for if I buy a used X4x5 series?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds like a PITA to install. Is this what I am in for if I buy a used X4x5 series?
So I installed it and my mulch kit was rattling so I had to take ithe deck off and tighten some screws. The second time installing the deck took me less than five minutes. Believe me, I was kicking myself for not buying a tractor with the auto connect but after the second time it was a breeze.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Yes.

It s kind of a pain, but once you get a technique down, it's pretty easy.
My x748 has a rear PTO, so I can shift the lever to the rear PTO, and the mid PTO will free wheel. That makes it much easier.
It's almost worth having the rear PTO option even if you don't use it:good2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's not that big of a deal. Once you've done it once or twice, it usually takes seconds. Way better than any belt system. Simply pull back on the ring and slide it on. If the teeth are not aligned, grab a blade or the pulley and rotate until they do. Once aligned it should slide right on. You should hear the ring click into place.

A trick used on my 425 was to hook up the shaft first, before attaching any hangers. With the teeth aligned, you can push the deck backward, using its momentum to engage the PTO. I haven't had to do this on my X739 - goes on real easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, you are right. Once you do it a few times it does become easier. My x749 is a little trickier because it has "extra" arms running back through and you really have to make sure everything is lined up just right to get the deck to slide in and out and yes, you have to make sure the arms are in the up position to slide the deck out and in and yes you do have to "yank" on them to get them in the down position. Make absolutely sure the coupler is connected (clicked/locked) in place before attempting to start the tractor and engage the mower deck. There will be no forgiveness in the pto shaft uncoupling and flying around in an out of control manner smashing everything in its path.:banghead: So, after hooking up the mower shaft to the pto and when first starting the tractor to engage the deck - have the engine rpms as low as you can to be sure the shaft is completely coupled. The slower engine rpm will allow less damage to be incurred if it is uncoupled. Be ready to disengage the mower pto power button.
Something else I do when dropping the deck to clean it. I have a cheap rubber throwaway gloves when I uncouple and couple the pto shaft because there is always grease present at the coupler. Don't want to get John all dirty.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Glad to hear you have the deck on, off and back on. I have the autoconn on the 1025r so not to bad.

But helping the daughters FIL and using his x585 , I can take it off in 2-3 mins and reinstall in about the same time . Having a 54" is a lot easier to connect the drive shaft than having a 60-62" .

Agree with the others connect the drive shaft before attaching the mower to the tractor, a lot easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts