Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't matter how tight I put the chain it always seems to hit the top of the housing. Also it doesn't seem to fit tight on the sprocket, could it be worn down. In picture on the left you can see where it is rubbing on the housing and in the picture on the right you can see how the chain sits on the sprocket. It goes on fine but after a few turns it looks like picture 2.

Do you think I need to replace that chain sprocket?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
:dunno:it looks like to me, that ur chain is wore, cause of how on the right side of sprocket, the chain is seen wanting to climb the teeth on the sprocket, and then settle down on the left.

i think if it was me-----new chain, and sprocket, so that chain fits the sprocket better. good luck.:good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would recommend replacing the chain and both sprockets.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
That sprocket appears to be worn. I'd be inclined to replace the drive pinion sprocket, #7, p/n AM14107. The driven sprocket, #9, p/n AM38206 and the chain, #11, p/m AM121965.

I'd also check all of the bearings, #3 (3) p/n JD8665 as they've been known to go south. They're likely worn as well.

54 SB Front Drive Parts.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice

Hey guys I really appreciate your advice. I will order a new chain and sprockets.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
I am with SGS, replace the sprockets and chain and also carefully check the bearings as the chain is hitting the housing so either the chain is stretched, the bearings are allowing the sprocket to move which can result in the chain hitting the housing.

i have broken chains but never had one stretch enough to hit the housing.

I found I have my chain made at a local small engine shop with a master link and it's easier to install and seems to fit better.

Also, make sure you use a really good chain lube in the chain and sprockets at all times. Ideally, something made specifically for chain use, like this;

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-11-Ounce/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513557979&sr=8-2&keywords=chain+lube+spray

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10393-Penetrant-Aerosol/dp/B003L33Q0O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513557979&sr=8-3&keywords=chain+lube+spray

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Hey guys I really appreciate your advice. I will order a new chain and sprockets.

I always keep a spare chain in the spare parts drawer as when the chain breaks, your done. If you have a spare, you can be back up and running in a matter of half an hour or less........Chains are a big wear item and they fail, as you see.........

Also double check and make sure something isn't loose in the rotating part of the blower, like the bearing plate bolts, etc.

Does your blower feel like it's as balanced as it was when you first got it? With that kind of wear on the sprockets, I would be checking to make sure the PTO shaft is greased, the U joints in the shaft are tight, etc.

The wobble of something out of balance will take out the chain and sprockets and bearings, etc.

Have you broken any shear bolts in that blower? Just curious......................

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
chain is stretched and worn out.

the teeth that I can see on the sprocket don't look too bad.

i would just replace the chain
When the chain is worn like shown on the photo you want to replace both the chain and sprockets. The teeth that I can see look like saw teeth. :)

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
It doesn't matter how tight I put the chain it always seems to hit the top of the housing. Also it doesn't seem to fit tight on the sprocket, could it be worn down. In picture on the left you can see where it is rubbing on the housing and in the picture on the right you can see how the chain sits on the sprocket. It goes on fine but after a few turns it looks like picture 2.

Do you think I need to replace that chain sprocket?
Please make sure to post your follow up to this thread so we know what you found and what actions you took. It helps others in the future identify the actions which you took that resolved your problem........Plus we like to know you got it working again and precisely what you did to repair the blower.

I wonder if something in the sprocket shaft is damaged or bent, causing that much wear. That is why I asked about having broken shear bolts, to see if perhaps when the shear bolts were broken, something might have been damaged to cause the "wobble" which allows the chain to hit the housing and the such a "wobble" would also wear the sprockets. Generally, you can feel the out of balance condition when the blower is mounted and lifted into the air and running at speed. I have watched blowers actually "bounce" on the front quick hitch while being run in the air when one of the shafts are bent.

Also note, the actual impeller can be damaged, which will cause such wear and issues. I have seen the "fins" on the metal impellers bent so far that we had to heat it red hot with a torch and re shape it. I was able to get it back into place and it ran balanced after the repair. But prior to the repair, having that impeller fin bent that much caused a noticeable wobble you could feel when the blower was on the ground running. Such out of balance issues will wreck bearings, sprockets, chains and cause other issues.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
As Frank stated, change out the sprockets, chain and while it's apart change the bearings, bearing housings and make sure the mounting bolts are tight, you may also want to order a couple locking collars too just in case you break one, (those parts and fairly inexpensive) now the easiest way to align the sprockets is to push them together so they are perfectly aligned and then tighten the large drive sprocket, forget that straight edge stuff. and if you order a new chain it will come as one piece, get a master link put on it, you will thank me later on if you need to change it, if not you have to take all this apart again to get the chain on! PITA... I believe SB stated to go to your nearest lawn tractor guy and have a chain made, cheaper too than ordering it, just bring your old one in. I had to have a machinist down the street make me a large drive sprocket, the sprocket that I ordered from GFP's was to large to fit the drive shaft and the chain was a bear to adjust.. The center hole was to large and when you tighten the two bolts it puts the sprocket out of center or eccentric. The original that came with the blower from the factory was also the same as what I ordered????? I'm not the only one who has had a problem with the large sprockets and in fact some of their smaller drive sprockets that are welded to the shaft are also eccentric, go figure??? Good luck and if you have any issues go to Franks site that shows pic by pic how to take that blower apart,, in fact his tutorial is why I joined GTT! Thanks Frank!

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
The center hole was to large and when you tighten the two bolts it puts the sprocket out of center or eccentric. The original that came with the blower from the factory was also the same as what I ordered????? I'm not the only one who has had a problem with the large sprockets and in fact some of their smaller drive sprockets that are welded to the shaft are also eccentric, go figure???
Very true. My 54" factory sprockets appear to be eccentric and it makes adjusting the chain an exercise in frustration. If you slowly rotate the sprocket and check the chain tension every 1/4 turn you will find that the chain alternates between being loose and being tight. Since too tight is worse than too loose you have to play around to find a happy medium where the chain isn't too tight and not too loose. Again, thanks to the out-of-round sprockets.

Reactions: tj1 and etcallhome

·
Registered
967 Posts
Please check the backside of the blower housing also. The shaft that goes through to the impeller has been known to break away and need welding back up. Please don't ask me how I know this. My chain and sprocket set lasted four seasons... and I ran the snot out of it. Once the chain jumps the teeth it's all over :banghead:with.

Reactions: tj1 and etcallhome

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Please check the backside of the blower housing also. The shaft that goes through to the impeller has been known to break away and need welding back up. Please don't ask me how I know this. My chain and sprocket set lasted four seasons... and I ran the snot out of it. Once the chain jumps the teeth it's all over :banghead:with.
Seems I remember your escapades with the welding on your blower a year or so ago HM... If not you someone had a lot of work done on their blower... That's great advice you posted.. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Very true. My 54" factory sprockets appear to be eccentric and it makes adjusting the chain an exercise in frustration. If you slowly rotate the sprocket and check the chain tension every 1/4 turn you will find that the chain alternates between being loose and being tight. Since too tight is worse than too loose you have to play around to find a happy medium where the chain isn't too tight and not too loose. Again, thanks to the out-of-round sprockets.
Ya, mine sounded like it had rocks in the blower somewhere it was so bad and brand new never even saw snow. When I ordered a new large sprocket it was the same as the original one,,, junk! It's a fine line with the loosening up the adjuster then get it right and when you tighten it back up it's wrong again!!! Just a lousy way to do things in my opinion.. My blower also does not line up with the bottom pins on the quick connect either. I have to use a 2x4 to bounce the blower around while up in the air for it to actually lock in place but only on one side the other side no problem.. I was miffed at that too,, where's the quality control gone???:dunno: You probably did witness my drive shaft bearing and bearing holder too back a couple years ago,, right from day one... :nunu:

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I'd order the old set up of a #50 chain and sproket set. Find on line. Easy enough to make new input shaft. What I will be doing soon. Stick to SKF bearings. Chinese and crap that Deere sells as replacement are junk.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
I'd order the old set up of a #50 chain and sproket set. Find on line. Easy enough to make new input shaft. What I will be doing soon. Stick to SKF bearings. Chinese and crap that Deere sells as replacement are junk.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
What is the current sized chain? I have a spare but I would love to get a section of chain with a master link. That would make replacing the chain a 15-min job instead of a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
What is the current sized chain? I have a spare but I would love to get a section of chain with a master link. That would make replacing the chain a 15-min job instead of a couple hours.
Take your chain to your local shop that can make a chain and they can do the master link for ya.. just about any tractor repair shop can do this for you..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts