Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I managed to lose one of the removable top pins on my 54"mmm deck on my 1023e...but then I realized that the lever on the wheel has a pin it controls to adjust the wheel height. So what am I missing here....why two pins...why is there a top pin too? I hope this isn't something obvious:)

rich

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wondered about this on my 54D also.... but I was too frightened to say anything.:laugh:

The mower comes with extra pins and the ballast box comes with none.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the regular pins are used to set your wheel height. The pins with the levers are used to quickly disengage the wheels for install/deinstall of the deck. At least that is my understanding and how I use them. What do others say?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I managed to lose one of the removable top pins on my 54"mmm deck on my 1023e...but then I realized that the lever on the wheel has a pin it controls to adjust the wheel height. So what am I missing here....why two pins...why is there a top pin too?
Rich,

I assume the top pins are there to prevent the wheel pivot from dropping out of the mower bracket when the lever pin is disengaged. Does the mower ever get high enough for that to happen? Probably only on extremely unlevel ground.

Reactions: fuelhog2000

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
I think the regular pins are used to set your wheel height. The pins with the levers are used to quickly disengage the wheels for install/deinstall of the deck.
That's my theory.:thumbup1gif: Of course I removed the pins during use because they rattled so much. Only used them during removal/installation of the mower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich,

I assume the top pins are there to prevent the wheel pivot from dropping out of the mower bracket when the lever pin is disengaged. Does the mower ever get high enough for that to happen? Probably only on extremely unlevel ground.
thanks for all the replies...so I'm not crazy then...but its probably this. I thought another possibility was that there was a way to make the wheels pivot but thats not it...I notice sometimes they dig in on uneven ground and tear the turf, if they could pivot I don't think it would be as bad. Setting them higher then I get scalping in other parts of the lawn.

rich

·
Registered
489 Posts
Rich,

I think scalping is an issue for most very large, mid-mount mower decks. I find that I must keep the anti-scalp wheels all the way down while setting my cutting height very near the highest setting. I must also do most of my backyard mowing driving up and down slope rather than across slope to avoid scalp lines in the grass. In the front yard, where the grass is more level, I find the anti-scalp wheels will often scrape out some sod when going around trees where the ground slopes upward toward the tree.

I suspect the only real way to eliminate these issues would be to cut with a 25" push mower. For me, that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"I suspect the only real way to eliminate these issues would be to cut with a 25" push mower."
That statement, Sir, is very close to heresy! Especially considering your choice of machines!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think the regular pins are used to set your wheel height. The pins with the levers are used to quickly disengage the wheels for install/deinstall of the deck. At least that is my understanding and how I use them. What do others say?
The pins with the levers are used for wheel height. The top pins hold the wheels on when you release them to take off/install the deck. Watch them closely because I've lost two.........don't know how they came loose. :unknown: The JD replacement top pins are $5 each! I went to my local hardware store and got two for $3.

·
Registered
377 Posts
you guys are bad luck!!! got done mowing the lawn today and one of my pins was missing! only could be in two places, I did a quick sweep of both yards but didn't see it. i guess it will show up when i run it over with the mower next time!

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's funny, when I bought the tractor there was 4pins in the tool box. Thought I was lucky and left them in there.
Even after reading this thread, did I not put two and two together, as I was wondering if after 1.5 years if ownership the dealer would be kind enough to supply them ( as I was really starting to see how useful they could be, ie lifting the deck and then driving over the fell out wheel) The light bulb turned ON. Open the tool box dug to the bottom and low and behold there they are.
:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts