Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serviced MMM, checked and added a little gear oil, checked belt, greased and cleaned everything. When greasing, when adding oil, I noticed that cap on breather was loose. I was able to pull it off by hand. I put back over spring and crimped it with needle nose. Should I replace it ? It just seems to be a loose fitting cap over a spring. It didn't look overly complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Pretty sure it is supposed to be loose like that . Cap is mostly a dirt and water deterrent . It should be fine just crimped back on as long as it is still floppy without falling off . :cheers:

Reactions: Firemark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Should be a little loose but not enough to come off. I had it come off and I didn't realize. I leave the deck outside when not installed and it got water in the gear box. Trashed the bearings before I had checked the oil. I would replace it - cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The breather is actually a pressure breather. The spring holds pressure on a valve inside the breather. The breather only opens when the internal gear box pressure reaches to about 2 psi. It is not normally open to atmosphere.
If you pick the mmm up on end and gear oil runs out the breather, the breather is bad. Replace it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: vt2305

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts