Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As of yesterday, I found out the hard way that I have a 54" Snow Blower with the "Infamous" Plastic impeller that has failed also. Who else has had or is aware of this issue? Other than replace the impeller every year or so, what have you guys done as a remedy? I am currently looking for a donor unit to salvage the impeller and retrofit it to my 54" unit. Not sure how to approach it otherwise. Is there a model I should be looking for that will work as a donor unit? (Sorry for the Edit).

Is there a JD metal replacement unit available from JD rather than my idea of a retrofit from a donor unit?

Big John

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See the replacement info I just posted at Snowblower test...54"...who's getting snow?
Yes, I have read it. Being that "The Big One" is bearing down on my area next,..... It would be more reassuring of a more current answer. I just talked to my dealer and they are on their way here now. He says they have replaced a multitude of "Fantastic Plastic" impellers. "If" metal is available he will replace it with that. He doesn't quite recall what the replacement is but, thinks it was metal. :greentractorride:

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Premium Member
12,747 Posts
Yes, I have read it. Being that "The Big One" is bearing down on my area next,..... It would be more reassuring of a more current answer. I just talked to my dealer and they are on their way here now. He says they have replaced a multitude of "Fantastic Plastic" impellers. "If" metal is available he will replace it with that. He doesn't quite recall what the replacement is but, thinks it was metal. :greentractorride:
Everything I posted is current, I just re-looked up all those part numbers this morning. I always recommend re-confirming any part numbers on JD Parts before you actually order anything.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I posted is current, I just re-looked up all those part numbers this morning. I always recommend re-confirming any part numbers on JD Parts before you actually order anything.
AWSOME!!! A little reassurance goes a long way. Knew someone would have some positive input here. Always good to ask rather than speculate.

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Registered
131 Posts
impeller

So, did the plastic impeller fail or just the chain or both?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So, did the plastic impeller fail or just the chain or both?
Chain was the only casualty. I inspected and greased it 7 weeks ago in prep for this winter too. As they loaded it onto the flatbed this morning I viewed it again. Looked fine... although I couldn't see the part behind the cowling. I inspected the Plastic impeller (here now with me) with two winters on it, it looks fine. I have no faith in plastic molded around a hollow metal shaft as in this case. Keep it as a spare.... Nope! Think I'll make a bird feeder out of it or some sort of lawn ornament. These impellers must have some sort of service life expectancy engineered in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts