Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out into the garage this morning and noticed that both of the skid shoes on my 54" JD plow are broken off. They both broke right at the bend where they transition from vertical to horizontal. They aren't worn off, the breaks are rough and ugly, not smoothed off as if they had been ground down.

Is there a better after-market direct fit alternative for these? Or am I on my own for making some new ones for next year?

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Reactions: JimR

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... Those are the JD factory shoes with a UHMW add-on. I may have to go with those if I can't find anything else. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went out into the garage this morning and noticed that both of the skid shoes on my 54" JD plow are broken off. They both broke right at the bend where they transition from vertical to horizontal. They aren't worn off, the breaks are rough and ugly, not smoothed off as if they had been ground down.

Is there a better after-market direct fit alternative for these? Or am I on my own for making some new ones for next year?
I have a 72" plow, I cut a pc. of rubber off a 4'x6' 3/4" cow mat, bolted it between the plow molboard and the steel wear bar, let it stick below about 2" , after the first couple times I plowed, I removed the plow skids completely, works great. I used the rubber cow mat 2 snow plow seasons and its not worn much yet. I made the rubber wide enough to flip it if I need to. Maybe in another 3-4 years. I plow on blacktop, one thing nice about the rubber is if you catch the lawn along the drive way it don't rip up the grass. I've have plowed gravel with it and it works great on gravel also.

Reactions: HydroHarold
1 - 4 of 4 Posts