Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should have put this into the existing "wing" thread or not, but here we go any way...

I received my Artillian extension wings from Chris just in time for last week's snow storm we had here on the east coast, so I didn't have to wait long to try them out. The installation was fairly simple. The only thing I didn't have handy was some yellow paint to touch up the inside of the holes I drilled. The wings worked really well, adding a total of 12" inches of width to the plow. My 4110 has a pretty wide foot print for a compact due to the fatter turf tires being set in the wide position, and with the wings I was able to go full angle to either side and still clear a path for the rear tires. Without the wings, the plow is just wide enough to clear for the rear tires in the straight position, but ANY angle and I was running over fresh snow in the path of it. The wings are pretty stiff when mounted and pushed the snow well. I only saw a little flex in the bottom outer corners when pushing the really heavy stuff, but it didn't seem to affect the clearing path at all. I'm not much of a picture taker, but I did remember to grab a few.

I managed to get the plow mounted just as the snow was starting. The timing couldn't have been much better! My plow already had the factory (I am presuming anyway, I bought the tractor used) rubber edge on it which hangs down lower than the wings. It squeezes down pretty good when lowered to the ground, so the resulting difference was minimal when plowing. I know Chris sells his own version of the rubber edge, and I am assuming that it is closer in height to the wings when installed.
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg

We got a good bit of snow. This was what my deck looked like the following morning, and it was still coming.
IMG_0733.JPG

These are a couple of shots I took from the cab when plowing.
IMG_0734.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg

That all being said, the wings are a terrific improvement to plowing snow with the ridiculously undersized 54" plow Deere cursed us with. I can't thank Chris enough for coming up with such a cost effective solution to this problem. It's certainly much cheaper solution than the Arthur Randall plows, and a lot less hassle than modifying a Jeep plow. I would only consider those options if I needed to push a lot of dirt. If you are just looking for the extra width to push snow, I would certainly recommend a set of the Artillian Wings.

~Erik

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
Looks good Erik, thank you for the post and pictures, nothing like action shots.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Awesome post Erik! Glad it worked out for you!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Great review and pix! Couldn't have picked a better snowfall for testing!:laugh:

So far my review is that the wings come out of the package easily, smell good, contain all the necessary hardware and have clear consise directions! I'll try and get to mounting them this week before all the snowing stops for the season.:laugh:

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Thanks for the post and pictures. That was just what I wanted to hear and expected to hear.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great review and pix! Couldn't have picked a better snowfall for testing!:laugh:

So far my review is that the wings come out of the package easily, smell good, contain all the necessary hardware and have clear consise directions! I'll try and get to mounting them this week before all the snowing stops for the season.:laugh:
The only thing I will add to the directions is: I found it easier to use smaller bit at first to drill a pilot hole before jumping to the 5/16 bit, even with a center punch. I also double checked how much rubber was exposed at both top and bottom of the plow once I had it clamped to make sure they were even before drilling. Measure twice, drill once I guess. Overall, the installation was really simple. I think you will be very happy with them. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The only thing I will add to the directions is: I found it easier to use smaller bit at first to drill a pilot hole before jumping to the 5/16 bit, even with a center punch. I also double checked how much rubber was exposed at both top and bottom of the plow once I had it clamped to make sure they were even before drilling. Measure twice, drill once I guess. Overall, the installation was really simple. I think you will be very happy with them. :thumbup1gif:
I generally do that with every drill job above ¼" since I don't have a drill press. My starter of choice is a 1/8" then ¼" and on up. 1/8" will stay in the punched spot easier and requires very little pressure. It may be "over drill" but I've always done hand drilling that way. I'm also a fan of "cutting oil" for drilling like this. Bits cut better and there's little chattering...

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Erik,

It's great that the installation went well and they work as they should.

Drilling starter holes is perfectly fine. The steel of this plow blade is so soft that pre-drilling didn't seem necessary. However, if someone is going to pre-drill, definitely start with something small such as 1/8". Pre-drilling with something like 1/4", then going to 5/16" will likely lead to chatter, binding etc which is going to be more dangerous than no pre-drill.

With a proper center punch mark and a good sharp 5/16", there's no problem going right through this blade in one shot. But that's a matter of preference I guess. Thanks for the mention.

Oh, and yes the wings are designed to fit with a new factory metal blade. They will also work with the Artillian Cutting Edges, of course. If the Deere rubber edge is a little long, everything should work in together with use. Those rubber edges seem to be able to conform to changes quite well.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Here's mine.

All set to plow now! :thumbup1gif:

Another upside to these is that there is far less pain when you catch your leg on the end of the plow! I really need everything padded these days.:laugh:

I almost forgot the obligatory photo...

wings.jpg

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
All set to plow now! :thumbup1gif:

Another upside to these is that there is far less pain when you catch your leg on the end of the plow! I really need everything padded these days.:laugh:

I almost forgot the obligatory photo...

View attachment 25732
Hi HH,

Please let us know how everything works if/when you get the chance.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Hi HH,

Please let us know how everything works if/when you get the chance.
Now that the plow and lighting is complete, it probably will never snow again here. I actually "warded off" this last predicted 10" snowfall by being ready.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
We haven't gotten more than a dusting since I got my 54" Blade. Must be starting a trend.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
How do they work in dirt, rock and sand??

I'm going to ask the question now, but nobody will probably be able to answer until Mother Nature tells Jack Frost to take the next 9 months off.

I'm looking at switching to the 54" blade once I get my tractor and I think that these extensions are almost a must if one plans to angle the blade. My neighbor has a X728 with the 54" blade and he even thinks it too narrow for that. Since the extensions are a rubber material, how would they handle dirt, rock or sand? I plan on using my blade year round but I don't want to have to take the extension wings off each time to plow something other than snow.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'm not sure I'd use these blades on anything other than snow. They aren't the 54" blades of the past. I'd compare it to an ATV snowblade. Maybe others will chime in otherwise, but that's my impression.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I'm going to ask the question now, but nobody will probably be able to answer until Mother Nature tells Jack Frost to take the next 9 months off.

I'm looking at switching to the 54" blade once I get my tractor and I think that these extensions are almost a must if one plans to angle the blade. My neighbor has a X728 with the 54" blade and he even thinks it too narrow for that. Since the extensions are a rubber material, how would they handle dirt, rock or sand? I plan on using my blade year round but I don't want to have to take the extension wings off each time to plow something other than snow.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your question.

Do you have a loader for your tractor? For the materials you mention, I would have to more or less second what 636 is saying. The bucket on the loader will do a better job in dirt, rock and sand.

If those materials are loose and just need to be leveled or slightly graded, the 54 plow will do but not any heavy cutting. In this case, having the wings on the plow probably won't be a problem. They may flex back but shouldn't suffer much, if any, damage unless you intend to spend days upon days doing grading work. In that case, I would recommend removing the wings from the plow for the season. Removing them would probably take about 10 minutes and could go right back on in nearly the same amount of time.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your question.

Do you have a loader for your tractor? For the materials you mention, I would have to more or less second what 636 is saying. The bucket on the loader will do a better job in dirt, rock and sand.

If those materials are loose and just need to be leveled or slightly graded, the 54 plow will do but not any heavy cutting. In this case, having the wings on the plow probably won't be a problem. They may flex back but shouldn't suffer much, if any, damage unless you intend to spend days upon days doing grading work. In that case, I would recommend removing the wings from the plow for the season. Removing them would probably take about 10 minutes and could go right back on in nearly the same amount of time.
Thanks Chris. I will be getting a loader for sure, but was intending to use the blade for just leveling loose material. I agree the 54" blade would not be an item for any heavy grading. Leave that to box blades, rear blades, land planes, etc.

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts