Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a new tracotr I thought I had decided upon a 2000 series with snow blower and FEL.

I have been calling my local JD dealers (3 within a 25 mile radious) to compare prices. Finding prices within $600 of each other, I decided to call te largest dealer inthe sate which about 45miles from my home.

I asked for a price for 2720, 200CX & 54" snow blower.

He promptly told me he would be happy to give me a price for the 2720 and
200CX but he will NOT sell the 54" snow blower. He stated he sold 2 in December 2010 and within a week both customers called with broken plastic impellers. He told me he contacted JD and sent all his stock of those snowblowers back to the warehouse. He assured me he is more interested in making a happy customer then losing a sale over a snow blower attachment.
He went on and said if I really want the 54: blower go to anotehr JD dealer and buy it there but do not complain to him when the impeller breaks.

Anyone else heard of this issue?

Other interesting info -- We discussed the differences in 2320, 2520, 2720. He stated he considers the 2320 to small a machine for heavy lifting with the bucket and the main drive shaft universal is a known weakness. He has seen 2320 with twisted frame caused from loader lifting and hitting hard objects witht he loader.
For loader work he recommended nothing smaller thent he 2520.

Price difference 2520 to 2720 $1500

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I have not heard of one single failure here or the other three forums I frequent.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Just from what you have said here I am drawing the conclusion that the customers of that dealer are a little rough on their equipment. As Kenny has stated there is alot of chit chat and speculation on the weakness of the plastic impeller, but there just hasn't been documented issues. I have the 54 blower and it has blown alot of snow in the last two seasons without any issues. Now mind you I have not run any gravel through it, I am funny that way. Now, I have documented on this site my upgrade of the chute deflector hinge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
54" snow blower issue

The dealer I spoke to yesterday said the customer had a nice paved driveway and was about 50% through his 2nd pass when it broke. He spoke like the guy was a long term customer traded in his 955 for the new unit.

I stopped at another JD dealer (smallest one in area) had a nice long talk with the owner. Told him what I heard about the 54" blower, he concurred and checked his stock. Told me he replaced 6 of them between Dec. 1 and Feb 15 this year. He tries to keep 3 on the shelf. He also is considering NOT selling the blower and recommended if I want a blower to purchase the 47" unit which I don't like since it is narrower then the tire track of the 2520 or 2720.

My current SB is 26 years old I have had to straighten out the auger and impeller at times from hitting objects I have never replaced either one.

Not sure if I want to spen over $3000 on a new blower attachment which could break on a hard piece of ice. In the northeast we seem to get a lot of frozen rain snow mix which is tough to blow.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Very interesting...if they are that prone to breaking it's odd that it's never been mentioned on the other forums. My only thought is that if they are breaking that easily then JD will redesign them soon to correct the problem-they are very good about that. They had a major issue when the new 300/400 series loaders came out with the new style cast QA shoes breaking...they had a redesign very quickly and replaces lots of them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Plastic impeller or not....I'm just not impressed with the overall build quality (Materials) used in the 54 and 59" units...I'm giving the 47 a pass here because its a small blower for small machines. It doesnt NEED to be built like a tank.

As far as the plastic impeller....Its is entirely possible that your geographic area has "different" snow then some of the other areas....especially this year with the wild weather. Whats going thru my mind right now is if your area typically recieves alot of heavy wet snow falls..For impact, I can see the benefits to plastic (still not a fan, but I can appreciate the impact resistance of plastic), but if you got to blow 12" of heavy wet stuff, thats alot of constant load on the impeller blades. Personally I dont see plastic as a good material for "constant duty" load.

I think my personal feelings on the JD Front blowers are pretty well documented here, so I'll get off my soapbox now..:laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts