Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking the snowblower off and cleaning it up today when I noticed what appears to be a welding error.

The picture is at the top middle rear of the blower housing, right below where the chute attaches. You can see light through it, it's about 2" long and looks like there should have been a weld there but isn't.

It's still under its 1 year warranty so I'm looking for input before I haul it down to the dealer.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
That definitely looks like a warranty issue. Why is the inside of your chute black? Mine is yellow.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Warranty issue

·
Banned
419 Posts
Weld

When I rebuilt my 54 that was in the fire sand blasted the whole thing. If I am seeing the pictures right your talking about the weld that holds the chute to the rotating collar (disk). It does not have a continuous weld. Why If it would be continuous you would have a great chance of the joint to crack under the vibration stress caused from operation of the unit. I have seen that on many places on units that have vibration issues. Welding makes the metal harder and thus you have a chance of cracking, that is why they weld strips and then stop and start.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I was taking the snowblower off and cleaning it up today when I noticed what appears to be a welding error.

The picture is at the top middle rear of the blower housing, right below where the chute attaches. You can see light through it, it's about 2" long and looks like there should have been a weld there but isn't.

It's still under its 1 year warranty so I'm looking for input before I haul it down to the dealer.

Thanks

Here is a picture of my chute on my 54" SB. It is the same way yours is.

Attachments

Reactions: Doug and Kennyd

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
Looks normal to me. As Tony mentioned a continuous bead can actually cause more problems with cracking and/or warping. "Stitch" or "Skip" welding is perfectly acceptable especially in a none critical low stress situation like this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. The fact that someone else has the exact same welds as mine rules out a welding error.

Yes, it's certainly not a high stress area.

Reactions: TonyBMI

·
Registered
675 Posts
You know I learn something every time I am on this site! Boy you guys are sharp I have a 54" and I see the same thing.

Thanks
Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts