Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 2003 5220 with a 541 Bucket. I bent (Beyond Repair) the right side BUCKET ROLL HYDRAULIC CYLINDER Serial # AH228450. John Deer Dealer says about $1100.00. WHAAAAAT?

Do any of you seasoned Tractor Owners / Farmers know where I might find a cheaper way around this? Aftermarket Parts? Anything is helpful.

Thank you.

Bill

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
First, look for another dealer! AH228450 is a complete cylinder. My dealer wants $928.08 for that. Next, what's bent, just the rod? That can be replaced. If you feel it's beyond your ability, take it to a hydraulic shop for an estimate. I'd change all seals & packings to. Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, look for another dealer! AH228450 is a complete cylinder. My dealer wants $928.08 for that. Next, what's bent, just the rod? That can be replaced. If you feel it's beyond your ability, take it to a hydraulic shop for an estimate. I'd change all seals & packings to. Bob
Hey Bob thanks for the reply. So, initially I thought I had just blown through a seal because of Hydraulic oil spraying. I looked on line at how to replace seals and quickly realized I couldn’t do that. Off to the dealer I go. The dealer called to say the internal rod was so bent they couldn’t get it out to replace seals and replace the bent rod.
This is where I stand.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Bill, There just looking to sell you a new cylinder! Unscrew packing nut on rod end, pull rod and piston out. Remove piston, replace rod, install new seals...DONE!

First, find a place that makes piston rods or get a price for a JD rod from dealer, and go with the lesser price. Many hydraulic shops have the capability to make a rod. Once you've got a rod, turn the entire cylinder over to a hydraulic shop. they can get replacement seals cheaper than you can get them from JD.

Plan B ! You CAN do this yourself! You may have to get some special spanner wrenches, but this will be more cost effective than paying a shop or Deere. If you go this way, there'll be lots of people here to explain/help. We love spending other peoples money and explaining how things are done. Then we can sit back and hear about someone else's labor! Bob

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Here's a breakdown of cylinder assembly:

Remove snap p ring 2. Remove o-ring 4 and remove snap ring 5.I can't tell from drawing, gland ring 8 may or may not unscrew... but I think NOT. Disconnect hydraulic lines and pull rod...oil WILL come out of port on rod end!!! And that's it, cylinder is apart for repairs! Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts