Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so have been searching for a problem similar to the problem I'm having with my power reverser but haven't found it yet so I'm posting. I've had a 1999 JD5410 w/ powrReverser for 6 months and it has worked fine. Today I backed into my shed to unhook my backhoe and was unable to get the tractor out of park. The lever moves down and to the right to get out of the park slot but it won't move up to the neutral position. It seems like it might be a linkage problem to me. Most of what I've seen in forums on this site talk about electrical issues related to the reverser. There doesn't seem to be a read-out on my dash that would show what gear it is in, it may be for later models. The engine runs fine, the range and the trans both shift fine but the reverser lever seems to run into a stop almost like there is a linkage problem. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks, cioci

·
Premium Member
8,194 Posts
From your Reverser lever there is a cable to the park pawl lever under your seat.
Disconnect the cable at the park pawl lever. See if that lets the lever move up.
You adjust by putting lever in N. Turning park pawl lever CCW until it stops and adjust cable to hook up.

Reactions: Dingeryote

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I've had this same problem. The one thing I hate on these tractors is that park system.

If you put it in park and then took the backhoe off, the tractor may have rolled a little and is putting pressure on the pawl inside the transmission, which prevents it from moving.

Try and get the backhoe back on, or if you have a loader you may be able to use the bucket. Pull the lever out of park and let it sit, ready to slide up to neutral. Take the backhoe or loader bucket and gently nudge the tractor a little bit and see if that will release the pressure on the pawl. It should let the reverser lever slide up to neutral.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
How about just jacking up one rear wheel. That should relieve the pressure?????

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

From your Reverser lever there is a cable to the park pawl lever under your seat.
Disconnect the cable at the park pawl lever. See if that lets the lever move up.
You adjust by putting lever in N. Turning park pawl lever CCW until it stops and adjust cable to hook up.
I got three great replies to my problem. I was kinda' thinking maybe it was something like a steering wheel lock, you know when you have lots of pressure on the wheel it can be hard to get the key to turn? It sounds like from what you guys said that may be a similar problem with the parking lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks FordGuy

I've had this same problem. The one thing I hate on these tractors is that park system.

If you put it in park and then took the backhoe off, the tractor may have rolled a little and is putting pressure on the pawl inside the transmission, which prevents it from moving.

Try and get the backhoe back on, or if you have a loader you may be able to use the bucket. Pull the lever out of park and let it sit, ready to slide up to neutral. Take the backhoe or loader bucket and gently nudge the tractor a little bit and see if that will release the pressure on the pawl. It should let the reverser lever slide up to neutral.
I think you may have solved my problem. I got three great replies and all of you were right close to each other with your suggestions. I'm heading out to see if I can get this thing moving, Thanks, Cioci. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts