Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tried taking off the deck yesterday and couldn't get the deck to keep from pivoting when backing over it. Found out the culprit was the front right gauge wheel shaft was bent and so the wheel wouldn't fully retract, leaving that corner high and still resting on the wheel.

Not sure how it happened, whether hitting something while mowing or in transit between mowing areas.

Lifted the front of the tractor up with the FEL and slid the deck out sideways. Lifted up the deck with the draft arm to block up the deck and press the shaft out of the mount (picture below). Beat on the aluminum shaft with an engineers hammer. Thought I got if flat enough, but not yet. Tighter tolerance than I thought. Need to work on it more today.

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,501 Posts
Glad to see it bent and didn't break...I whack my on the edge of boulders every time I mow. Looks like a press would come in handy if you have excess to one. Or is it so springy it needs to be bent beyond 180 to get it straight?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to see it bent and didn't break...I whack my on the edge of boulders every time I mow. Looks like a press would come in handy if you have excess to one. Or is it so springy it needs to be bent beyond 180 to get it straight?
Yep. I'm casting about my friends to see if someone has a press.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry that ;yu had a problem but am comforted that I am not the only owner that has bent this item. There is a 20 ton press in the ranch workshop and it bent it back without damage, but as another post said, it had to be bent a bit beyond straight so that it would spring back to original.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is what happens when your front tire drops into a hidden deep hole and your anti-scalp front wheel is smashed into the ground and the edge of the hole.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those shafts are steel, not aluminum.
Agreed. Found that out too. 20-ton press and it's all back in place. Glad I had the FEL on so I could lift the front of the tractor up and slide the deck out the side.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Better off bending or breaking your gauge wheels than messing up the deck...

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
on my 2038R I have bent one and broke one. They run about 120$ each so take care of them.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on my 2038R I have bent one and broke one. They run about 120$ each so take care of them.
For the 54D, the arm (without wheel) is approx. $65. Almost half that price but still more than "affordable".

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Had just lost my dooflinkey keeper pin that sits right above so the shaft doesn’t fall out when that spring pin is pulled out. No idea how it decided to part ways with the deck and can’t find it anywhere. Nothing a long skinny bolt won’t fix

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had just lost my dooflinkey keeper pin that sits right above so the shaft doesn’t fall out when that spring pin is pulled out. No idea how it decided to part ways with the deck and can’t find it anywhere. Nothing a long skinny bolt won’t fix
I had lost one of those too. Picked up a suitable replacement at Coastal Farm and Ranch.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
647 Posts
You'll likely "find" it with the mower blades! That would be my luck.
Ever hear of O'Tooles Law?
O'Tooles Law: "Murphy was an optimist."

Reactions: Poppi

·
Premium Member
10,329 Posts
Same here I have the shaft but the wheel and the piece that holds the wheel broke off. Would have been an easy fix to reweld but I could not find the wheel and piece anywhere. It must have rolled down to the bayou with OC's knife because that was 2 years ago and it has never appeared.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure how it happened, whether hitting something while mowing or in transit between mowing areas.

View attachment 788356
Mine took a pretty good hit when it fell into the hole. You can see it snapped right at the hole where the metal is the thinnest.
Fluid Finger Nail Thumb Violet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts