Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stopped mowing today when the sound changed on my 1025R MMM. I was able to turn the male coupler by hand without any movement of the belt. I located the two allen set screws and one was very loose.

After tightening the set screws I attached the mower and pulled the yellow mower switch. The same symptoms. Not mowing.

Any ideas? My searchs here came up with the following photo. My operators manual is useless, they don't show any coupler.

I have about 3 weeks left on warranty.

Randy

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe you just wrecked the key running it with the set screws loose. Not seated fully?

Can you loosen the set screws and pop that auto coupler off? Look inside?

I bought the manual connect for these reasons. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There should be a large Woodruff key under the male coupling sleeve.
Odds are not that great that you sheared it, horrifyingly, you may have stripped gears in the box...
Remove the sleeve and have a peek.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Since you still have warrenty, I'd get with the dealer and have them fix it. Something happened either in the gearbox or the input shaft/male adaptor.

The 2 set screws on the adaptor only hold it from coming off. There is a woodruff key between it and the input shaft. If the key is missing (as in, was never installed...I think that happened to another member) the set screws are the only thing transferring power to the input shaft. Their job isn't to transfer power so eventually they loosen up and you lose input.

If you feel froggy, set the deck so the blades and belt turn freely, and remove the male adaptor off the gearbox. It may take some persuasion, I think they're on there pretty tight. Inspect the inside of the adaptor for damage and that the woodruff key is in there also. While the adaptor is off, turn the input shaft and see if the blades/belt turns. If the belt doesn't turn, the problem's inside the gearbox.

NormalAppImage(2)-2.png

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input.

Just off the phone with service at my dealer. He feels the woodruff key is the issue with nothing likely wrong with the gear box and the spindles and belt turn freely.

He also advised taking off the male coupler to inspect the 5 x 22 key. It must have sheared as I can turn the coupler with no movement of the belt.

Good news is it is probably only the key, and they have one in stock. Bad news is since the key is a wear item (hit a rock) it is not covered under warranty.

The hard part is removing that darned coupler. He suggested gentle persuasion with a brass hammer and pin. I'll try my rubber mallet with some penetrating oil.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It helps so much to bounce ideas off the board.

Randy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is the woodruff key that is broken off at the surface allowing the coupler to spin. The allen set screws do not any holding power compared to that key.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Thanks for the update Randy.

Wheeeww....that $4 key shearing just saved you a $360 gearbox. Have you punished that rock yet? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you can't find the rock....take your angle grinder to that "china" writing.:laugh:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to take my 6' concrete killer bar and hunt that rock tomorrow.

It was not a lost adventure. I took the time to grease all the zerks underneath.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Musta been some rock. I’ve been wacking rocks and roots since I got mine. New property and all. My blades look like somebody repeatedly swung a splitting maul broadside at them

Sent from my phone that’s smarter than me

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if this is the correct way to seat a key but it worked. The coupler went on easy with only a tap from a rubber mallet.

Mower is back working.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Hey, it works :laugh:
Put a drop of blue loctite on the set screws when you put them back in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts