Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I discovered that my vent cap was missing on my 54D mower deck. I checked online for a replacement and found what I believe was the right part- at over $21! NO thank you.

I ran to Lowe's today to check on my options for a frugal replacement. This is what I found:

It's a 3/8" copper tubing end cap found in the plumbing aisle. It's a prefect fit for the vent on the 54D. My question would be, is there anything different about the original vent cap? Is the original just a cap with no alterations? I realize this one will need to be crimped when installed to keep it in place. But will it work?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
If you can get it crimped on so it "stands up", meaning it doesn't lay flat on the opening blocking air flow. It needs to have ability to take in as well as remove air freely. For $2, take the cap back and get the JD part. Easy, bam, done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The part is only $1.88 from JD. A quick forum search would have turned up several existing threads on that very subject. Here is the latest...

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/175064-54%94-mm-auto-connect-deck-gearbox-%93cap-vent-%94-damaged.html

I searched but missed that one- thanks:thumbup1gif:

The copper cap was only $1.30 and saved me about an hour round trip, so nothing really lost. I'll grab a couple next time I'm at the dealership.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you can get it crimped on so it "stands up", meaning it doesn't lay flat on the opening blocking air flow. It needs to have ability to take in as well as remove air freely. For $2, take the cap back and get the JD part. Easy, bam, done.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the tip!
One other tip I would also tell you to do is change the gearbox oil it’s possible not having the vent there is water and for the 4.6oz of gear oil it would be a cheap maintenance peace of mind or $400 gearbox.

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade
Interest: Woodworking-Tractors-Chris-Craft Boats.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other tip I would also tell you to do is change the gearbox oil it’s possible not having the vent there is water and for the 4.6oz of gear oil it would be a cheap maintenance peace of mind or $400 gearbox.
Yup, that's the plan. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Just an important note, the OEM vent is not just a vent. The OEM vent is spring closed which means it does not open to atmosphere until there is internal pressure due to heat. It is actually a pressure relief, not an open to atmosphere vent.

I would be concerned with oil be slung out of what you have now during operation.

Keep in mind, these gear boxes work at very high speeds and during operation, you are not going to see the oil being slung out of the gear box and unless you actually take the mmm off every time you mow, you may not see that the oil is actually being slung out of the gear box over time.

These boxes do not hold that much oil to start with, so a small amount of oil loose, a little at a time, will eventually end up in gear box failure.

I would recommend getting the correct pressure relief vent. :good2: The proper pressure relief is allot cheaper than a gear box.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts
Just an important note, the OEM vent is not just a vent. The OEM vent is spring closed which means it does not open to atmosphere until there is internal pressure due to heat. It is actually a pressure relief, not an open to atmosphere vent.
That is a VERY good point. That valve is an Alemite 131000-T which has the following specs:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ray_PA - THANKS for that info. That's what I was looking for when I originally posted- info on if this idea would work. I've already ordered a few to take care of my issue. Thanks again:)

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Ray_PA - THANKS for that info. That's what I was looking for when I originally posted- info on if this idea would work. I've already ordered a few to take care of my issue. Thanks again:)
Great. I would hate to see a post in the future where your gear box burned up due to oil loss. :good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts