Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a spring broke on my mid mount 54D. In looking for parts on the John Deere site it lists 2 different springs, #8 & #9.

Any idea if there is a difference?

1025R wants to mow. Tempted to buy a spring at Ace.

Photos to explain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
The note on #8 says to order #9.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
In other words, #8 is being, or has been, replaced by #9. If your dealer has a #8 on hand, it'll work. If he has to order it, he'll most likely receive #9.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got my new spring but it barely holds the mount arms so the bolt doesn't touch the metal. Have to try it, but I thought that bolt position was important for loading.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Here's a picture of my 60D. Notice how the front spring hooks onto the welded bracket on the deck. See how the 2 springs cross each other. That puts the most tension on each spring. Does yours do that?

That bolt is for adjusting the height of the crossbar in the front. I've not seen one before where the bolt head isn't touching the deck. The spring should be pulling hard enough to keep the bolt head against the deck, and then you adjust the bolt to get the crossbar to 11⅜" (290mm) (center to floor). Keep in mind this is just an initial adjustment. The big nuts that hold that crossbar may have to be loosened also. Those are used to obtain the gap of a little less than ⅛" (2-3mm) between the crossbar and the front draft hooks. You may have to adjust both at the same time, and it's probably going to take a few times to get it right. You may want to do it with the tractor driven over the deck, and almost ready to hook up to the deck, so you can do the adjustments with the parts next to each other so you can see how everything is coming together.

I'd suggest looking at how the spring hooks to the deck and see if you can change the 'hooking' location first. I'm sure you already had things adjusted before and you really shouldn't have to do them again, just because you changed the spring.

Reactions: chex313

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, there is one ring (H) on which both springs attach.

The old spring provided more tension. I think I'll order an old one.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the new spring to try and load my 54D deck. It was captured by the front but I could not get the deck to lock in. I had a horrible time getting the deck on (flat concrete or later asphalt).

I must have dropped and loaded my MMM 100 times without any issues. I have no idea why it suddenly became difficult. Install position, lowered the 3 pt control and checked the wheel locks to insure the deck was on the ground.

On one attempt in the photo the rear rod went above where it should have been captured. I put an orange circle on the rod in the photo as it is a dark photo.

Then it looked as if everything loaded correctly but the rear catch refused to pivot correctly. I had to reach underneath and flip the catch up. I'm used to reaching in and flipping the catch down, but I'm stumped why it is suddenly necessary to flip the catch up on loading.

I used a dry lube spray on the catch to make sure it would move correctly.

Stumped.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Gunk & grit in the PTO shaft not allowing it to collapse far enough (get short enough), so arm can't lower any more to where it should be. At least that is what it looks like to me.

Reactions: rakane
1 - 9 of 9 Posts