Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,105 Posts
As Coaltrain stated, it's coming out of the breather cap (see highlight below).

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
Any idea why this is leaking?
I was going to be a smart-arse and say 'Yes'.

Seriously, when it's in storage like that, remove the vent and put in a pipe plug. It should be a 1/8"-27 plug. Put the vent in a plastic bag and tape or ziptie it to the deck, so it'll remind you to put the vent back in when you get ready to use it again.

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
Check the manual but I think it's 80W90

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had two decks upright and I noticed that one of them was dripping gear box oil. I ended up just wiping it off and duct taping the vent/breather cap down. I'll check the gear box oil level once I take the swiveling deck axles off.

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
I don't have a manual....
Post the serial number of the deck, or a clear picture of the serial number label. I see it in your photo, but can't read it.
And what tractor is this for?

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
Don’t know which tractor you have but this manual will be about the same for all 54C decks.

I thought so too. I found a manual for a 54HC that calls for 80W90, but just wanted to double check. I'm pretty sure my 60D takes 80W90 also.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I thought so too. I found a manual for a 54HC that calls for 80W90, but just wanted to double check. I'm pretty sure my 60D takes 80W90 also.
I think most all the 54”, 60”, and 62” are basically the same gearbox and will use the same oil.

Only real change over the years has been the front axle. Mine takes 80W90 while newer tractors use hydro oil now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My 2018 deck uses 80w90. You can also change out the oil and switch it to a synthetic 75w90 oil makes sure it's a GL-5 spec oil. Gear box oil change interval is 500hrs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts