Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 5520 with cab and loader. Has a 10ft brush cutter on right now. When I engage the PTO it gradually takes off and, is sitting in one place, will almost act like it wants to get up to speed but then if I start moving forward, or sometimes on its own, the PTO will slow down and after a bit will start gradually acting like it wants to spool up again. Throttle has little to no affect on the speed. Hoping it's linkage but it's probably the clutch. Hyd fluid is at proper operating level and looks clean. How hard is the PTO clutch (I'm assuming it has its own) to change out on this?

I'm a heck of a wrench on my truck but I've never attempted something like this on a tractor. The machine is actually my grandfather's, who can certainly afford have a dealer work on it, but he's also EXTREMELY frugal and had a bad experience with the local implement so he's reluctant to move on it so I said I'd take a look and do some research.

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
There is a rod under the left side of the cab to adjust the engagement pressure. Look under the left side of the cab while someone operates the lever in the cab to be sure you are looking at the right one. Remove the clip pin on the front of the rod and shorten the Clevis on the rod by a couple of turns. Reconnect the rod and see if the lever takes more effort to engage. Should get a nice firm feel to the lever as you engage the clutch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would consult the operators manual. I have a syc shuttle transmission and the instructions were rather easy to follow. I noticed that my PTO was slipping while using a manure spreader. There are two turnbuckles to look at..with one being under the PTO lever shroud in the cab. I'd start with the one down under... but be prepared for some unpleasant work. Check the PTO clutch cable for rust..right at the turnbuckle end. It may just come apart/break after adjusting.... like mine did. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents! I'll take a look at it this weekend. I'll let you know what I find or if I have any additional questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice!

Ok, so update time. I went down to the farm last weekend and removed the shroud on the PTO and 4x4 levers. Gave the clevis a couple of turns and PROBLEM SOLVED! My grandfather was extremely happy and sends his gratitude, as do I. These forums are a life saver! Between youtube, online forums and a technical manual, I was able to basically rebuild my truck's 6.0 diesel engine by myself having only ever changed an alternator prior to that so I know how valuable these forums are and it's because of guys like you who are willing to point guys like me in the right direction. Thanks to those who replied and I hope this thread can be of use to someone in the future.

Semper Fi!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts