Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks,

I recently bought an 03 JD 5520 with a cab and FEL. I got it for a good price because something is wrong with it. I can go through all the gears and ranges with no problem but when I let my foot off the clutch, it doesn’t jump, it just moves real slow. When I give it some gas it moves a bit faster but not the speed you’d think at the elevated rpm rate. My dad thinks it’s the clutch so we have that part on order but, I have a gut feeling it’s probably something else more expensive that is wrong with it.

When I put it in gear it doesn’t smell or grind, it’s smooth and easy no resistance. I just don’t have any power.
Would anyone know if it is indeed the clutch or if it’s something more nefarious?

This is my first tractor. I plan on using it to bale a 30 acre tract, that’s if I can get it to run properly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Power reverser or dry clutch ? (do you have a forward & reverse lever ? )

Can you stall the engine when in gear, standing on the brake ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
To rule out engine fueling issues. … can you get 2000 Rpm displayed on the tach when in gear and moving ?

You already have clutch parts on order, consider doing the PTO clutch. Perhaps engine and transmission seals too. Both require the tractor to be split. You only want to do it one time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To rule out engine fueling issues. … can you get 2000 Rpm displayed on the tach when in gear and moving ?

You already have clutch parts on order, consider doing the PTO clutch. Perhaps engine and transmission seals too. Both require the tractor to be split. You only want to do it one time.
This morning I put it in gear and stood on the brakes and it kept running fine.
I set it on C and 3rd and picked it up to 2,000 rpm with no problem. I was moving fast but it takes a few seconds to get up to speed. Also when I turn it bogs down. Now the engine doesn’t bog down but I lose speed and it takes a few seconds again to pick up speed.

Haven’t been able to find a video online on how to adjust the free play on the clutch but I have noticed that when I step on the clutch there is no resistance for more than half of it before it’s fully engaged and I can switch gears. My brother in law has a 95 5400 and on that the clutch gives you much more resistance when you step on it compared to mine.

My dad is going to take it to a mechanic on Thursday to look into it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Okay... I agree with the initial thoughts, it's a clutch problem. The pedal travel would be reversed if the free play were too tight. When you stood on the brake in gear, the engine should have stalled. That it kept running meant the flywheel was turning but the clutch was slipping. It needs to be split. Consider all the parts that need splitting to replace. As I said before, you don't want to split it again.

Just for the record … how many hours on the clock ? Was it heavily used as a loader ?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you put it in gear with the clutch out, and step on the brakes, does the engine lug down or does the tractor slow down without affecting engine speed? If so, its definitely the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... I agree with the initial thoughts, it's a clutch problem. The pedal travel would be reversed if the free play were too tight. When you stood on the brake in gear, the engine should have stalled. That it kept running meant the flywheel was turning but the clutch was slipping. It needs to be split. Consider all the parts that need splitting to replace. As I said before, you don't want to split it again.

Just for the record … how many hours on the clock ? Was it heavily used as a loader ?
I am not sure on hours because the meter reads 104 hours and it’s counting correctly as I use it. So it was recently replaced. The person I got it from buys and sells tractors and had it for a few days before I picked it up. He didn’t know much history on the tractor or who he bought it from. It’s got a welded grill on the front and my dad thinks it was used to mow grass on the highways. The bucket is a bit beat up so I’m sure it was used a bunch.
But the engine sounds strong with no blow by or smoke, it starts on the first crank, hydraulics are strong on loader and the 3pt and pto work as should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you put it in gear with the clutch out, and step on the brakes, does the engine lug down or does the tractor slow down without affecting engine speed? If so, its definitely the clutch.
The tractor comes to a stop and stays running with a smooth idle. The more I mess with it and read online the more I’m certain it’s the clutch that’s shot. Luckily I found a new one OEM clutch from JD for under 500 shipped from Smith tractor company in Alabama. Ordered on Monday and it’s scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The tractor comes to a stop and stays running with a smooth idle. The more I mess with it and read online the more I’m certain it’s the clutch that’s shot. Luckily I found a new one OEM clutch from JD for under 500 shipped from Smith tractor company in Alabama. Ordered on Monday and it’s scheduled to be delivered this Friday.
This will help if you plan on doing it yourself:

shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
This will help if you plan on doing it yourself:

shouldn't be too difficult.
johnH123 -i like watching Warren turn wrenches too. he is close to 100,000 subs -and i think he was in the teens when i found him on u-tube. just wished he lived closer to the east coast is all. jealous of all them fellas who got him for a mechanic out on the west coast

Reactions: johnH123
1 - 13 of 13 Posts