Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the 5525 tractor recognizing it is in gear. I have used this tractor for a few hundred hours so it's not new to me. I have to try different gears and shift the ranges and flip the forward rev all different ways to get it to engage the transmission. then when it goes all is normal until I stop but it in neutral and park. Get off then try to go and it just flashes N. Then I start all over again until I can feel it catch and the flashing N goes off I can start again. It seems to work going from forward to reverse but when I stop and get off it doesn't recognize it in gear and I need to start moving all the gears and leavers again. I have even tried starting it from off and that doesn't help. Any ideas of where to start to find my problem would be appreciated ? I can't be the first to run into this problem. Tractor has a 1000 hrs on it.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
:wgtt:

Does your tractor have a seat switch? A lot of equipment will flash the N for neutral if it sees a request to move (put in gear) without seeing a good seat switch connection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the tractor and tried to see what I could find. I don't think it is the seat switch. I can't get it to do exactly what I think it was doing the other day. It seemed that if I started everything in neutral and I use the foot clutch and put it in gears I can get it to move but if I use the reverser to go back it just blinks N. If I put reverser in N after hitting the foot clutch and leave the gears where they were and I used the foot clutch to stop before I put it in reverse. the N doesn't blinking and I can back up using the foot clutch. then hit the foot clutch put the reverser in N then hit the foot cl. again put it in forward it will move as I let out the clutch.

Is there a repair manual out there that shows where all the different switches are. I have the operators manual but that doesn't show anything. I think it must have something to do with the foot clutch and the reverser switches. I have the open station but everything is covered up so to follow the wires I'll need to take it apart. Al least it's not a cab which I'm sure would be pits. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
I went to the tractor and tried to see what I could find. I don't think it is the seat switch. I can't get it to do exactly what I think it was doing the other day. It seemed that if I started everything in neutral and I use the foot clutch and put it in gears I can get it to move but if I use the reverser to go back it just blinks N. If I put reverser in N after hitting the foot clutch and leave the gears where they were and I used the foot clutch to stop before I put it in reverse. the N doesn't blinking and I can back up using the foot clutch. then hit the foot clutch put the reverser in N then hit the foot cl. again put it in forward it will move as I let out the clutch.

Is there a repair manual out there that shows where all the different switches are. I have the operators manual but that doesn't show anything. I think it must have something to do with the foot clutch and the reverser switches. I have the open station but everything is covered up so to follow the wires I'll need to take it apart. Al least it's not a cab which I'm sure would be pits. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
The manuals are available through John Deere in paper form or on a CD. make sure you get the diagnostics manual as well as the repair manual.

One thing I have seen on these tractors is the clutch pedal bumper stop on the upward travel sometimes falls off. This allows the pedal to travel too far in the up position and causes the pedal sensor to get out of range. Look under the console when the pedal is fully up and see where the pedal contacts the framework. If it is contacting metal and there is no bumper pad, that may be your problem. The bumper is about 1/4" thick and 3/4" in diameter. It has a protrusion that snaps into a hole in the framework. Check #13 in diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help. I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before I can get her in the shop to take it part and track all the wires to figure it out. As it stands as long as I use the clutch and the reverser for direction and stop between directions I can use the tractor as it is like a regular tractor (almost) . I called to get the books on CD from our local dealer. one was TM 2197 for $93 and the other was TM 2187 for $187. But the man didn't know what was in them for sure. He has never seen them or ordered them before. Thats a problem up here not a lot of knowledge and very little agriculture. But once you order it you bought it. Can anyone tell me whats in the CD's? Are these the one's need to fix and tract down a problem? I'm sure $300 is a small price to pay as I plan to own this tractor forever. I just want to make sure there the right ones. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
thanks for your help. I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before I can get her in the shop to take it part and track all the wires to figure it out. As it stands as long as I use the clutch and the reverser for direction and stop between directions I can use the tractor as it is like a regular tractor (almost) . I called to get the books on CD from our local dealer. one was TM 2197 for $93 and the other was TM 2187 for $187. But the man didn't know what was in them for sure. He has never seen them or ordered them before. Thats a problem up here not a lot of knowledge and very little agriculture. But once you order it you bought it. Can anyone tell me whats in the CD's? Are these the one's need to fix and tract down a problem? I'm sure $300 is a small price to pay as I plan to own this tractor forever. I just want to make sure there the right ones. Thanks again.
Normally the manuals on CD have CD at the end of the part number, as in TM2187CD and TM2197CD. Without CD on the end it is theprinted book. CDs are about 1/2 the price of printed books.

TM2187 is the repair manual. It tells you how to repair things, but does not help determine what needs fixing.
TM2197 is operation and tests, more a diagnostic manual. It helps you find the problem, so you know what to fix.

Hope this helps :greentractorride:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 5055E JD with power reverser. The problem occurs intermittently and is getting progressive more and more frequent. What usually happens is that when reversing direction the N light starts to flash and the tractor refuses to move, after about 1 or 2 seconds the orange "Transmission Information Indicator" light comes on . This can happen when changing from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. After some combination of engaging and disengaging the clutch and changing the position of the reverser lever, the lights go out and the tractor responds normally. This is happening more and more frequently. Most recently, the tractor has begun to stop suddenly when in gear and pulling, with the "N" and the "TII" light coming on. Usually after this happens I will have to wait a few minutes after which the tractor will respond to inputs and continue to work for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the same problem with a 5425. I have found some bad connection s and have repaired those. 1 was on key switch 2 the 4 fuses below your left leg 3 the relays under dash, 4 trans. Pressure switch. It still won't move. Looking for some help. Tired of chasing ghosts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts