Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Im working on a 5603 John Deere the injection pump has been rebuilt and after I installed it’s having a problem losing prime. I’m not sure if it was having this problem before I was simply requested to replace the injection pump. It will start and run if you use either but will not without. Was told the fuel filters were changed just a few hours 10 or less before this happened and the tractor died.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to GTT
IMHO replying as a former JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs I would ONLY utilize starting fluid as a very last resort to get engine running. It is very easy to break top rings & piston lands utilizing starting fluid if starting fluid is utilized incorrectly & I didn't see a starting fluid kit offered in 5603 parts catalog

Do you know if inline fuel strainer next to bottom of the fuel tank has been cleaned/changed lately? According to JD parts 5603 has an electric fuel transfer pump so bleeding fuel system from tank to large fuel filter should be relatively easy. One could consider installing a fuel line check valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to GTT
IMHO replying as a former JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs I would ONLY utilize starting fluid as a very last resort to get engine running. It is very easy to break top rings & piston lands utilizing starting fluid if starting fluid is utilized incorrectly & I didn't see a starting fluid kit offered in 5603 parts catalog

Do you know if inline fuel strainer next to bottom of the fuel tank has been cleaned/changed lately? According to JD parts 5603 has an electric fuel transfer pump so bleeding fuel system from tank to large fuel filter should be relatively easy. One could consider installing a fuel line check valve.
I know of the check valve in the top of the injection pump can you point me to any others?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I checked 5603 parts for a fuel check valve with no success. I think check valve in top of IP is to keep sufficient fuel for IP cooling/lubrication

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve looked all over the tractor can not find a leak or a swollen hose or sweating hose. But I am replacing all the o rings in the filter housing. The guy before me did not replace the seals or o rings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The transfer pump has been replaced they say. But it doesn’t seem to push hardly any fuel if you take the line off the filter housing. Also there isn’t a strainer filter by the tank. It’s been removed if it had one

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 5603 doesn’t have a strainer either. Are you sure your transfer pump is running? I’m having the same problem now. The pump doesn’t run. Actually I’m getting 12 volts on both terminals of the pump when the key is turned to the on position. Something is feeding power back through the neural side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine had a strainer built into the fitting coming out of the tank. My tank was full of trash. Dropped the tank got rid of the strainer and added a inline clear filter and solved my problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a John Deere @ work for seasonal mowing and snow removal. I was having start and run issues
with our company J.D. 5603. The tractor was losing prime. I disconnected the fuel line to the main fuel
filter and notice low flow when I turn the key on. I replaced the transfer pump and in-line fuel filter and
turned key and flow improved. I bleed and prime fuel system with not much change. Fuel flow was good to filter and Injection pump. I cracked fittings and noticed air to line in back of pump. The big break-thru was I took the Fuel cap off and the tank was building pressure. This is what I did to fix the
issue (cleaned fuel cap with carb. cleaner) and reinstalled fuel cap. The next thing I did was removed the flexible fuel hose off the small in-line fuel filter and shot 40 psi compress air back into the fuel tank. Then I reinstalled flex fuel hose to tank. I had to re-prime and bleed air out off the system. The John Deere 5603 op's check good. No drips, No leaks , No errors. Long story short check the Fuel tank and make sure it vents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts