Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2007 5625 MFWD with a four speed main transmission, three speed aux, power reverser on the steering stalk, and an electronic splitter on the main shift lever. While travelling down a road at speed, I stopped to take a call, putting the main in park and the aux in neutral. When finished I put both trans back in gear and continued on my way. The trans was a little reluctant to go back into gear, so I let out the clutch just a touch to allow the gears to mesh, which they did with a clunk....nothing dramatic at all. When I got rolling, however, I noticed a fairly loud rhythmic whining sound coming from under the shifters. The frequency is directly proportional to road speed. It sounds like a jake brake, but much tinnier and more metallic in pitch. I turned around and went home with the noise continuing. Everything works, all gears are usable etc. MFWD was in "auto" the whole time. Any ideas of what the problem is?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Can you force it to 2wd? (take it out of auto) I had a similar thing happen with our 8300. While messing around trying to figure out what gear I could start out in on the road, I slipped the rear tires on some gravel. (opps) The radar unit sensed the slippage as it was pretty bad. It locked up the 4wd and due to the road I have to assume it was tight enough that it was unable to unlock it. It was not until I drove into reverse that the 4wd unlocked. I had a very similar sound that you are describing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Brian.

Indeed, when I switch into two wheel drive using the MFWD control, the noise is about half as loud (but still present). I can switch in and out of four wheel drive easily, which is one difference from your case.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Tranny noise

Sorry for the delay. There are no DTAC solutions regarding this problem. It sounds as though you have an issue with the way the gears are meshing. Look over your linkage to see if you have any obstructions that may be keeping the gears from fully engaging. I will assume that your oil level is correct. Did you try driving the tractor in other gears and ranges to see if the noise follows a certain gear or range selection?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The frequency of the noise is directly proportional to road speed. In can be heard in all gears, forward and reverse. The only thing that seems to affect the amplitude of the noise is 2WD / 4WD switching as stated. Pop it back in 2WD and it is half as loud. The local dealer seems to think there is a broken gear in the MFWD mechanism. One of the mechanics stated he had seen it before. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got it back. Invoice is nearly $9K. I suspect there was some shotgun troubleshooting given the size of the bill but I am just glad to have it back. They had to split the tractor and replace quite a number of transmission components during several attempts to find the noise, but in the end it turned out to be in the MFWD. They found cracks in the park / MFWD drive gear, and finally after replacing this, the noise stopped. At this point I really need to know what could have caused so much damage. Did I do something wrong, or is this sort of thing common? How do I make sure it does not happen again?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Wow!

That is a pricey bill. But, you have your machine back and functional again. :yahoo: To answer your question, sometimes these things just happen and there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. When something breaks in these gearboxes it usually causes lots of damage in addition. My guess is you will get a lot of trouble free service from here on out. :thumbup1gif: Thanks for the update, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well there may be an unfortunate bit of news. I got some winter diesel for the tractor and decided to drive it around for a bit to make sure everything circulates. I had it going at a fair clip, and while coasting down, it made the grinding noise again for about a second. I had what is best described as an anxiety attack, so I drove the tractor around for another half hour. All speeds and circumstances to try and reproduce the noise, but it did not occur again. I called the dealer who did the repair....they said if it started making the noise again consistently, they would send someone out. Not sure what to do at this point. :unknown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.